2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Combination problem ABS and auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:27 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

While you can check general powertrain codes with a jumper wire, ABS codes will not be accessible using this method

See thar's what I mean--- somebody smarter than me!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Beginning Member
AndyBees is on a distinguished road

Well, has anyone given this anymore thought? I did drop by a GM dealer. They seemed to think it was a sensor issue and actually talked at lenght saying if I could not solve the problem they would....

So far, no vendors have indicated their product will access the ABS.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The dealership should charge a nominal diagnostic fee to read the codes. Unless you are willing to just blindly replace parts, reading the codes is the next step.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, bump back to the top!

Here's where I am on the 95 Blazer. This is an ABS light coming on once the vehicle begins to move and then it will not shift to 3rd gear.

(Edited spelling in this paragraph) As I mentioned in some of the earlier posts, last fall I was dealing with sick relatives. Both my mother-in-law and her oldest son passed away in December from cancer.

So, things on my plate have been stacked high in the last year. No time to work on anything!

Today, I went to my uncle's VW repair shop and drove the Blazer about 11 miles to home.

One thing that I had never noticed previously, the speedometer didn't work. So, several of you suggested that the VSS may be the problem.... Today as I was driving it home, occassionally the speedometer would try to work. In fact, at one point it worked so well, I eased the shifter into the 3rd gear position and it shifted.

So, I'd say the VSS sensor is the problem!

Where is the VSS located? On the tranny I'm sure!

Any suggestions as to which parts house to purchase a replacement!

Last edited by AndyBees; 05-12-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I quickly scanned through the messages above, but did not notice what you had as far as drivetrain configuration (2wd or 4wd). If 2wd, the VSS will be in the transmission output housing. If 4wd, the VSS will be in the transfer case rear output housing.

In both cases, remove the sensor and give it a good cleaning first before getting a replacement. See if that works for you. If it does, then good. If it doesn't, then a replacement from just about any parts store should do the trick.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, for the quick response!

The vehicle is 4-wheel drive! Oddly, another thing I noticed as I was driving home, the light in the 2-wheel drive indicator does not come on. I did shift it to 4-wheel high and also to 4-wheel low, in both instances the indicator lights did come on. Then when I shifted it back to 2-wheel drive the indicator light for 2-wheel drive did not come on (probably nothing to do with the bigger problem).

Thanks,
Andy

Old 05-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, cleaning the VSS sensor did not make any difference. So, as soon as things cool off under there, I'll be taking it out and off to the parts places!

Hopefully, a new VSS sensor will be the cure!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Beginning Member

Got the new VSS sensor today! Actually, when I picked up the sensor they had ordered the wrong item. They (Autozone) couldn't find it on their computer. So, they called the central inventory and got a part number and actually had the item in stock. ($79 and change, including tax!)

Anyway, I intalled the new VSS sensor and the Blazer runs like a champ now!

Thanks to all those who provided input and suggestions! Wifey is now happy! She hasn't liked driving the stick vehicles in my fleet! :-)

Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
TimeEnuf is on a distinguished road

I had a very similar problem today with a '96 4wd blazer. Everything seemed normal while driving home, but when I exited the interstate, the ABS light came on and the engine rev'd up, when going into third gear. Does this sound like the VSS sensor going bad?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Beginning Member
Default ABS light, no shift to 3rd

Originally Posted by TimeEnuf
I had a very similar problem today with a '96 4wd blazer. Everything seemed normal while driving home, but when I exited the interstate, the ABS light came on and the engine rev'd up, when going into third gear. Does this sound like the VSS sensor going bad?

Yes, read this Thread. The symptons you described was exactly how my 95 Blazer was doing.

Go ahead and test drive it in 2nd gear and notice if the speedometer works at all or very little. If so, that's the problem. The electronics need to know how fast it is going, among other things, in order to shift. And, obviously the ABS system obtains info from the VSS in order to do its thing!

A new VSS sensor and mine drives great!

Quick Reply: Combination problem ABS and auto tranny