2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CV axils?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Starting Member
NEW YORK BOY is on a distinguished road
Default CV axils?

hey guys, i have a 96 blazer and up front i hear a lot of clunking when i turn and stop fast. i think its the CV axil. when i jack the front up and turn the wheels full lock one way i can wiggle the cv axil on both sides. and one of my boots is ripped. if it is the CV axils can i remove them and still drive the truck? or do i have to have them on? i dont care to much if i wont have 4x4 because im tight on money right now. but any help from you all will be big help!

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Beginning Member
hzl6cm is on a distinguished road

I kind of guess here, but I think if you do that you will be leaving big open holes in to your front differential plus I don't think your front hubs would stay together if you remove the front axles. I don't know how much axles ost for these but years ago a bought a CV joint kit for a vehicle from JC Whitney and just replaced a CV joint on a car while reusing the axles. It didn't cost to much to do it that way.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Starting Member

alright ill look more into pricing. thanks

Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Starting Member

the end that goin into the differential. what would make that wiggle and or what part would that be?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM
spittybays

Under 100 re-built for the whole mugilla......

Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 PM
oldsbravada2000 is on a distinguished road

Its probably the three ball-and-socket joints inside the boot they most likely started to separated and then when you went to stop they completely separated along with the boot. from your tire wanting to keep spinning while the vehicle doesn't. I would also check the splines on the end of the shaft that goes into the differential, make sure they aren't sheared off. were you running 2 different sized tires on the front? even if the tires were half an inch different in size it can tear **** up.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Starting Member

nope it always had the same size tires all around. i just hope all this isnt going to be to much. but i do want to replace both sides.