2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CV Axle Shaft Trouble.. Any Others With This Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Beginning Member
blueandwhite is on a distinguished road
Default CV Axle Shaft Trouble.. Any Others With This Issue??

1998 4x4 blazer. I believe there is a thrush washer that dropped between the axle shaft housing and transfer case.......
This project started out as simply replacing the hub bearing on the front passenger side.....turned into replacing the CV axle, it was in need of replacement to start with. So I put in the new CV axle seal, put the CV shaft in and try to set it into the transfer case, she wont insert all the way after a few smacks with the dead blow she wont budge.... so I look down the housing..... damn a washer of some sort in the way. After 20 minutes with a clothes hanger and extension magnet, no luck in lining it up, the washer can be moved around but not to easily looks like I might have scared it with the hammer.
So I check the whole exloped view of the front drive train, there is a thrush washer between the shaft and actual transfer case housing that the GM repair manual say to hold on with a small key cut and grease. Could this be what is out of place?
Any one had this issue before???
My only thought from here is to remove the axle shafting housing and line everything back up, however the 4x4 actuator is mounted to this housing. never removed one before, I know it runs off vacuum, but is there going to be 5 piece fall out in my hand??? The part sheet looks like a few piece in there...
Captain, this one is to pick your brain!!

Old 02-09-2015, 01:17 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

I am a little confused here. Are you referring to the front CV axles that go between the front wheels & the axle or the front propeller shaft that goes between the axle & transfer case?

In the case of the propeller shaft there is a snap ring in the high speed CV joint that goes onto the transfer case front output shaft. This may have come adrift & is stopping the joint going all the way onto the splined shaft.

In the case of the front axle shafts there is a similar snap ring on the axle ends of the shafts that engage into the axle to keep them in place. If one of these has come out of it's groove it will stop the shaft from sliding fully in.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Beginning Member

Yes the propeller shaft, if you will, that goes from the transfer case to the CV shaft, It goes through a housing.
Yes the shaft will not go all the way in the transfer case. that little ring is on the shaft like it should be. however when you look down the housing for the shaft, i can see some ring or washer that has moved.
So now do i have to removed the housing also??? the 4x4 actuator i connected to this housing so does that all come apart also when i remove the housing?>?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:11 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Terms being used are still confusing.
The drive shaft goes between the transfer case and the differential; there are two of them...one to the front diff...one to the rear diff. There are no CV joints in either driveshaft, they both have U joints.

The front axle shafts go between the front wheels and the front diff. There is a CV joint in each axle shaft.

Now...your problem: I think you will have to take the housing off to access the washer. I think the actuator may be able to stay on the housing...but have not done this repair myself....Captain??

Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There are no thrust washers involved with what you're doing. After you removed the half shaft, (CV joint on each end) is the end of the axle shaft, (#2 in the image) visible and centered in the tube?

EDIT: #8 is a thrust washer, but you can't get to it unless you remove the tube, (#5).

#1 is a cir-clip, it keeps the inner CV from pulling off the axle. Is that what fell out maybe? If so, you'll need to remove the tube, (#5) but the cir-clip will most likely need to be replaced if it came off.

Attached Thumbnails CV Axle Shaft Trouble.. Any Others With This Issue??-4x4frontdifferential-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-09-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member

Now we cooking with fire. Thanks Captain, this is the same exploded view breakdown I found off prodemand..
Anyway, so the half shaft(#2) came out with the CV axle when I removed it from the truck, so I removed the half shaft from the old CV axle so that I could put it back in, so I could install the new CV axle and this is where the trouble is. Yes, both cir-clips are on the half shaft, there is one on each end. The half shaft will insert into the tube however it will not fully seat into the tansfer case. If I look down the tube(#5) I can see what looks like a washer that has fallen and in the way, thats why I was assuming it was the thrush washer (#8), maybe its the retaining ring (#7). I tried to fish it out or line it back up, but no luck so this is why I believe I need to pull off the tube(#5) however the actuator((#13-22) is built into the tube. This actuator runs off a vaccum, but like I said im scared to pull it off because I have never messed with one before and idk if all the parts will just fall out or what.
Btw I have replaced cv axles on blazers before on the same side, and never had this issue. Usually a good tap or two on the half shaft and pop it goes in and fully seats.
I have classes all week, two exams, and two quizzes, so needless to say its sitting till this weekend, figured id get some good input before attempting again
This kinda stuff makes me wanna punch a fellow engineer..

Old 02-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The transfer case bolts to the rear of the transmission, and there are 2 drive shafts attached to it: One goes to the rear differential, and one goes to the front differential. If you have an automatic transmission: The rear drive shaft has a U joint at each end. The front drive shaft has a CV joint at the transfer case end, and a U joint at the front differential end. Both half shafts have a CV joint on each end. The inner axle shaft is #2. The left half shaft goes directly into the differential. The right half shaft connects to #2, the inner axle shaft, (the one with the problem)

The inner axle shaft should not have come out when you removed the half shaft. To access the retainer that you're having trouble with, and figure out what happened, the axle & tube must be removed. These 3 links will help:

Axle Housing 001_zpszyoe26pf.jpg Photo by cwhook | Photobucket

Axle Housing 002_zpsjynewgzi.jpg Photo by cwhook | Photobucket

Axle Housing 003_zpsm5hz6koo.jpg Photo by cwhook | Photobucket

Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Captain,
I just realized I kept saying transfer case. I meant front diff. My bad.
I feared what you said is true.."The inner axle shaft should not have come out when you removed the half shaft."
Have you removed one of the tubings before? Does the whole actuator assembly in there fall out at ya??
Looks like my date for the weekend is with this beast... the g/f will love that...

Old 02-10-2015, 08:31 PM

Not a bad job at all, just take your time and watch how it all comes apart. Pictures help during disassembly The exploded view and the text will walk you right through it. Disconnect the cable from the actuator under the battery first. Then follow the instructions. When you get the clutch mechanism out, check the teeth on #9 and #23 for wear, replace them if necessary. If the vacuum switch on the transfer case malfunctions, or if the circumference of the tires is not equal on all four corners, it can and will destroy the teeth, and they ain't cheap!

EDIT: There are some Youtube videos out there, might not be a bad idea to watch them before you dive in

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-10-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member
babydeuce is on a distinguished road

Not to muddy the waters, but now would be the absolute best time to dump all those parts and install a Bravada shaft. It would eliminate all those parts, and get rid of the vacuum system that is prone to failure. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: CV Axle Shaft Trouble.. Any Others With This Issue??