2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CV Joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member
TimmiT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CV Joints

Well, I did a t-bar crank. Based on my measurements, I have gone up about 1.5 inches on the drivers side, and a bit more on the passengers to level it out.

First Question: I measure 33.5 inches to the center of the front fender, sitting on 235/75R15 tires. Does this seem about right for a 1.5 inch t-bar crank? I ask because of the difference I had when checking each side.

Now to the main problem:

I have only put on about 50 miles since cranking, because my shackles were delayed, and I have not gotten it aligned yet. When I looked under the Blazer today, I noticed a ton of grease splattered about from the CV on the passengers. The boot appears to be in good shape with no tears (I rotated it several times looking at a clean boot))the grease looks like it is coming out where the boot clamps on the larger end. There was also a small amount coming from the same location on the drivers side. Once again, the boot looks fine.

Several Questions:
Does this seem like it is just caused by adjusting things, and not from over doing it?
Obviously, the passengers side needs to be addressed.Should this just be rebuilt / replaced, or what? I have never delt wit these, so please provide some insight. Costs??

Should anything be done to the drivers side? currently the grease hows in an area about 3/4 inches long.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: 1998 Blazer, 4 door, LT, 4x4

Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: CV Joints

Mine shot out some grease for a few miles after the crank, but I scraped all the grease off, and watched for more. They have been fine now for close to 10k miles. If youre concerned about it, you can get some new synthetic grease, and use 4' stainless steel hose clamps to fix it. Refill the boot, put it back on the diff side joint, put the clamp around it, and tighten the hell out of it with a ratchet. I plan to do this at some point in the near future...but my list is getting pretty long of 'things to do soon'

Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member

Would I have to pull the whole assembly out to get it filled?

How full should they be? I believe there is a definite problem on the passenger since I could probably collect a handfull of grease off of the control arms, etc.
Also, these are the originals. They have never been serviced.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Nope..thats why you try to refill and reseal before replacement. Not sure how full they should be...but the whole idea is to keep the joints lubricated and minimize wear.

I probably had a handful or so come out total I think...but again, I have no idea if thats safe or not...I'm just saying I hoped it was, and drove 10k so far

Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info. I think that I may leave the drivers side for a bit, and do what you discussed on the other. I suppose I will do that Wednesday when I do the shackles (delivery on Tues. per UPS)

I am not to worried if they go out, with the exception of leaving me stranded somewhere. I would hate to be stuck in the mountains with the kids this winter. But that is what AAA is for (provided we are near the road).

Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good info Jason! Could not have explained it better myself!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Beginning Member

So the main thing is that it is lubed and sealed, not really that it has x amount of grease?