2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dash help

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member
PhantomDiesel is on a distinguished road
Default Dash help

Hey y’all

my friend gave me a 99 Chevy blazer LT 4.3L V6 and and he was swapping the factory radio with a single din aftermarket one and he pulled the factory radio too hard and sparks flew and it killed the ac control module and half of the dash. Only the gas volt and the oil gauges works but the Odometer, speedometer, temperature, gear selector, and RPM gauge don’t work. This is my first ever vehicle! I appreciate the help and advice

~Phantom

Old 02-29-2020, 10:42 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PhantomDiesel
Hey y’all

my friend gave me a 99 Chevy blazer LT 4.3L V6 and and he was swapping the factory radio with a single din aftermarket one and he pulled the factory radio too hard and sparks flew and it killed the ac control module and half of the dash. Only the gas volt and the oil gauges works but the Odometer, speedometer, temperature, gear selector, and RPM gauge don’t work. This is my first ever vehicle! I appreciate the help and advice

~Phantom
sounds like he killed the Cluster or possibly some fuses. open the fuse panel on the inside of the doorjamb on the drivers side and start checking fuses using the sticker in the inside of the panel as a guide. Does it run atleast? if so then the PCM might be OK and its something else like the B/TCM.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:13 AM
Beginning Member

Truck runs fine but it does have codes p0404 and p0420 but it is driveable. I have to get the dash working so I can it it Inspected so I can get my sticker and fix those codes

Old 03-01-2020, 02:15 AM
Beginning Member

What’s the B/TCM?

Old 03-01-2020, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomDiesel
What’s the B/TCM?
Body OR Truck Control Module, Generally its called the Body Control Module but the shop manual calls it the Truck Control Module. Start checking those fuses both underhood and in the doorjamb fusebox, if none are blown you are in for a hell of a job.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:10 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a cluster, but I digress.

There are 2 power feeds to the instrument cluster on pink wires to A7 and A8 of the connector. The fuses are Guages fuse 4 10A and Clstr fuse 11 10A both of which are in the I/P fuse block on the left end of the dash. Check those first and report back.

George

Old 03-01-2020, 05:28 PM

Actually i just had another thought, what in the hell was he doing to cause sparks when removing a radio of all things? the harness should just click right out, two spring tabs and 4 bolts, pulls right off the rack.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:45 PM
Beginning Member

hey George

so I looked at fuse 4 and 11 and its looks fine and they are not blown

Old 03-01-2020, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Before you get too far into the dash issue you may want to explore your fault codes because they involve the emissions system components some of which can get expensive or somewhat involved. Depending on where you live a catalytic converter problem can be expensive, especially in a state with inspections.

George

Old 03-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member

I don't know

Quick Reply: Dash help