2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

In dash turn signal bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Beginning Member
Kimchoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In dash turn signal bulb replacement

How do you replace the indicator bulb in the dash? Turn signals work fine, the bulb is out I suspect.. It was dim for a few months, then went out altogether.

edit:. I guess this has turned into "how do you remove the flippin upper steering cover past the ignition switch?" Looks like I can get the cluster out after that.
96 S10 Blazer 4wd

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited by Kimchoc; 04-21-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member
Kimchoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I stumbled my way through it. I would have preferred knowing what to do but its all good.

Hopefully this review will help someone in the future. I found nothing on searches for the specfic bulb so I figure removing the cluster would do it. Plenty of info on how to do that but NOT good info.
First, remember that this car is plastic. Dont get frustrated and break it just because you cant figure out how to remove something.
The usual problem with instructions is like this: blah blah, remove the cover. Great, just how do you remove the cover???????
And that is the problem with removing the cluster. Bad instructions on removing the steering column cover.
Important!, there are two screws that retain the UPPER cover and they are accessed once you get the bottom cover off. Note that I didnt have to remove the upper, just get it out of the way. Instructions say remove but that isnt correct. not necessary.
Remove the two hex screws that hold the top cover to the column. i used a small socket. You might need a flashlight to see them.
Once that is done you will be able to wiggle the cluster out.
That is the major difference in the internet insturctions and what really happens.

One last thing, the are two screws that hold the whole dash assembly on. (first step to cluster removal) And i mean the whole left side dash assembly comes off all the way around the radio and heater stuff.. I had to unplug my 4wd switch, then I twisted the whole panel off and over to the left. Just be careful.

The bulbs were hard as hell to get out of the plastic holding socket twisty thing but they do come out. I could have sworn they wouldnt and it was a whole assembly.
Once the cluster came out it was a breeze of course.

Good luck to the person in the future doing this. Hope it helps.

Gary

Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I am glad that you got through it and that you shared your experience for others. If you had of allowed more time for others to help out, I am sure you would have gotten responses.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM
stealthblazer546 is on a distinguished road

One thing you didnt mention though, on the besel around the gauges, theres one more screw at the very top of the overhang, and all the bolts/screws are 7 mm

Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
TeeThornton85 is on a distinguished road

this write up is a good one. should be a sticky. thank you!