2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Deeper transmission pan/ trans filter question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Deeper transmission pan/ trans filter question

Hey guys. I was looking on Autozone's website. Next time I get the transmission fluid and filter changed, would it be good to get a deeper pan that adds 3 quarts of tranny fluid capacity?
I have the trans flushed every 15k and get the filter changed every 30k (every other flush the filter is replaced). The last flush/filter change was at 72k. I also had it flushed at 86k (they used the machine. They didn't drop the pan) and had them add Lucas Trans Fix as preventative maintenance. I also had a trans cooler put in just after that since I live in an area where there are alot of hills and I do haul alot of cargo at times at higher speeds. Should I have had the filter changed at the last trans flush? Is every 30k for the filter too much? Would adding to the trans capacity with a deeper pan make the trans last longer or am I asking for trouble? Thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that you do not already have the deep pan?

And your service schedule is a bit over kill and a waste of money, but it's your truck and your money so I won't comment further.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Are you sure that you do not already have the deep pan?

And your service schedule is a bit over kill and a waste of money, but it's your truck and your money so I won't comment further.
The pan is only about 2-3" deep. It looks very shallow.

Also I was told by a transmission shop that the fluid needs to be changed every 15-20k because of a flaw with the sunshells (is that the right name?) on the 4L60Es breaking and losing 1,2,D and R? Also the truck falls under the severe service schedule in the book because of the mountain road driving I sometimes have to do, steep hills, high speeds for long durations even in hot weather, which mentions every 15k. Not trying to waste money at all. Even at every 15k, that is only about once a year. I had it changed in January and I haven't even hit 2500 miles yet. Just trying to prevent another expensive repair bill. It seems to be working so far. The trans was shifting hard just after we got the car. $1000 later at the dealership it wasn't even fixed. They replaced a TC Solenoid and a couple other things and found a code in the computer (SES light was off). It wasn't until I noticed a loose connector on the PCM 4 months later and reseated it that it was fixed for good and never shifted hard again. Never again will I go to a dealership and before I even call an independent repair shop, I will research whatever it is on the forum and then call if I can't do it myself. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Changing the fluid will have no impact on the sunshell what so ever. And I doubt you are in the 'severe' category, but do what makes you warm and fussy.

Well, your 2-3" measurement encompasses both the deep and shallow pans...

Here's what a quick search turns up on the subject:
You have a 4L60E. As far as deep vs shallow pan, I posted the measurements in another thread.

Measurements:
Shallow pan 2 1/4"
Deep pan 2 7/8"

Pictures:
Deep pan overall shot:

Deep vs. Shallow comparison:

Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 AM

Changing the fluid will have no impact on the sunshell what so ever. And I doubt you are in the 'severe' category, but do what makes you warm and fussy.

Well, your 2-3" measurement encompasses both the deep and shallow pans...

Here's what a quick search turns up on the subject:
It is definitely not the deep pan which is shown in the photo, that has an area where it is deeper than the rest of the pan. The pan on my tranny has a flat uniform surface on the bottom.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Administrator

If you have the shallow pan, adding a deep pan will prolong fluid life. You shouldn't need to replace the filter anywhere near as often as you are proposing. Reason - the transmission is a closed system. The only thing that can clog a filter is the parts in the transmission itself.

Even on our farm trucks which get absolutely abused pulling wagons, 5th wheel trailer with 25k lbs worth of backhoe, etc about 24/7... We only change the transmission fluid every 25-30k miles. Filters about every other fluid drain. And when we change the fluid, it is only a pan drain (pull the drain plug, reinstall it when it stops dripping, and refill to proper level when hot) which swaps about 1/2 of the fluid only.

If you do go to a deeper pan, either get a stock replacement from a fullsize truck that will have a drain plug, or add a drain plug into the pan. B&M sells an add-on drain plug for like $10 that is easy to install. Drill a hole, install the fitting, and away you go.

When the time comes to service the transmission in my Rainier, I am going to weld in a nut and use a standard drain plug.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2000 LT 4x4 and I change the Trans fuild and filter at 50K miles and the mech told me I was lucky for the filter was all clog up and very dirty. I now have hit 100K and plan on doing it again soon. I do no towing and just drive it like a regular car, no over loading anything, but from what I have heard, that these Trans need service or they will go out on you. To me its better to be safe then sorry and that 100 bucks plus change sure beats 2 or 3k to rebuild or replace the trans (unless you get one from a junk yard and you don't know what you are getting, been there before, pull one for my old T-Bird, 1961 the reverse went out, went to the local junk yard pull one and guess what the reverse was out, total waste of money and time). I'll spend the few bucks (incomparison to the other options).

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator

One thing that is for sure about most mechanics. Many are fear mongers. They'll tell you whatever they think they can tell you to get you back into their shop. Many like to show you parts and dramatize about how bad they were.

Don't get me wrong though, if a shop will not show you the parts they replaced and explain why, I would recommend you find another shop. But a lot like to embellish the damage a bit in hopes of gaining your trust and repeat business.

Again, I'll reiterate that a transmission is a closed system. All that can clog the filter are bits of the transmissions working components. If it gets to the point that you do not have sufficient fluid flow through the filter, the transmission does not have much life left in it either.

*EDIT* - Also, just to add. You can get this pan for $45 delivered and have a deep pan with a drain plug! Autozone sells this same pan for $55 so it's $10 off. Not too bad for the extra capacity. Heck, I might buy it simply for the drain plug. It would save me from having to weld on my current pan!

With the drain plug, doing your own transmission fluid services are fast, easy, and clean!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 PM

One thing that is for sure about most mechanics. Many are fear mongers. They'll tell you whatever they think they can tell you to get you back into their shop. Many like to show you parts and dramatize about how bad they were.

Don't get me wrong though, if a shop will not show you the parts they replaced and explain why, I would recommend you find another shop. But a lot like to embellish the damage a bit in hopes of gaining your trust and repeat business.

Again, I'll reiterate that a transmission is a closed system. All that can clog the filter are bits of the transmissions working components. If it gets to the point that you do not have sufficient fluid flow through the filter, the transmission does not have much life left in it either.

*EDIT* - Also, just to add. You can get this pan for $45 delivered and have a deep pan with a drain plug! Autozone sells this same pan for $55 so it's $10 off. Not too bad for the extra capacity. Heck, I might buy it simply for the drain plug. It would save me from having to weld on my current pan!

With the drain plug, doing your own transmission fluid services are fast, easy, and clean!
Thanks, so basically with a drain plug, I can change tranny fluid as easy as the oil (minus the oil filter of course)?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM
JRP22 is on a distinguished road

i know this post was from a long time ago but is that pan still available? or can you lead me to where i could get one? if i have to ill get one at autozone but is it for our trucks or just a 4l60e in general? just wondering what i should ask for at autozone if i do end up going there. i mostly want it for the drain plug i think it would come in great handy to do a drain and refill what has drained on my own. thanks in advance sorry about posting a while later but i was just doing some thread searching and found this

Quick Reply: Deeper transmission pan/ trans filter question