2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Detroit Axle Parts...any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 01:50 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Detroit Axle Parts...any good?

Wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) with Detroit Axle suspension components found on ebay? I was looking at the 10pc kit as the upper control arm bushing have pieces missing on my Blazer. The kit includes both UCA, inner & outer tie rod ends, idler and pitman arms and tie rod sleeves....all for $120. Only part missing are new cam bolts as I am sure I would never get the old ones off and be reuseable.

Sooooo....anyone....????

Old 12-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Wondering if anyone has experience (good or bad) with Detroit Axle suspension components found on ebay? I was looking at the 10pc kit as the upper control arm bushing have pieces missing on my Blazer. The kit includes both UCA, inner & outer tie rod ends, idler and pitman arms and tie rod sleeves....all for $120. Only part missing are new cam bolts as I am sure I would never get the old ones off and be reuseable.

Sooooo....anyone....????
I have a Detroit axle wheel bearing I put in my Bravada about 2 and a half years ago that is still doing fune, but I also don't wheel at all so I can't speak to how much stress they are under. I know they are MUCH cheaper and expected it not to last, but so far so good. I bought mine on Amazon.

For a peace of mind state, I plan to upgrade when I do finally have to replace it unless it lasts like 10 years LOL...

Old 12-22-2015, 06:56 AM

Well my 4wd might see a dirt or gravel road as far as "wheel'n" goes.....

So not much in the way of stressing components. Even the control arms from 1AAuto are only $90 for the pair...a bit less than Dorman control arms at $65 each. Just do not know anymore if the various brands sold are all made in China now so the only difference is price....IDK.

Have 115,000 miles on the odometer so probably time to change-out the pitman & idler arms as well as the inner tie rod ends....already did the outer tie rod ends and lower ball joints couple of years back.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Well my 4wd might see a dirt or gravel road as far as "wheel'n" goes.....

So not much in the way of stressing components. Even the control arms from 1AAuto are only $90 for the pair...a bit less than Dorman control arms at $65 each. Just do not know anymore if the various brands sold are all made in China now so the only difference is price....IDK.

Have 115,000 miles on the odometer so probably time to change-out the pitman & idler arms as well as the inner tie rod ends....already did the outer tie rod ends and lower ball joints couple of years back.
Most of the front end parts are made in china today.That`s something we can`t avoid, it`s all about money.It`s cheaper to have something built in china,mexico compared to have something made in america.It `s a very cost effective move in doing this.But the catch is..Most products made in china don`t last.That`s just something we all have to live with,no matter where you live.I know for sure moog is a china product,but there`s another brand summit racing sells called "Proforged" this maybe made in china also not sure.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:14 AM

Sooooo....anyone....????
Becareful on what you buy off of ebay or amazon.Most of the products are off the wall name brands.You really don`t know what your buying.It`s best to ask questions before hand,before you even think about buying it.The people who sell on ebay really don`t care where the product is made, how reliable that product is.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 AM

Sooooo....anyone....????
You have to be careful what you buy on ebay.There`s like so many off the wall brand products.Most of them are made in china.It`s best to ask questions first before hand, before you even think about buying a product.So in reallity you don`t have a piece of mind from ebay, until you recieve the product in person.You have to becareful on whether or not your recieving a new product or used.This is why it`s important to ask questions ahead of time.Always remember "You get what you pay for period!"

Old 12-22-2015, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Toocute350
You have to be careful what you buy on ebay.There`s like so many off the wall brand products.Most of them are made in china.It`s best to ask questions first before hand, before you even think about buying a product.So in reallity you don`t have a piece of mind from ebay, until you recieve the product in person.You have to becareful on whether or not your recieving a new product or used.This is why it`s important to ask questions ahead of time.Always remember "You get what you pay for period!"
Do you have experience regarding Detroit Axle, or are you speaking in general about buying products online? In regards to the OP's question, Detroit Axle is based in Detroit, and claims to manufacture all their products in house there in Detroit. I have limited experience with their products myself, however I have heard many positive reviews of their products and service. Check out their website detroitaxle.com if you want more info about the company.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:32 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

I installed a Detroit Axle wheel hub assembly on my uncles 05 Trailblazer this past summer and he hasnt had any issues that ive heard of. He also lives down a dirt road so always exposed to the dirt and mud.

Just a side note: On the Trailblazer gmt platform the hubs are the same for 2x4 and 4x4. It seemed odd to me but was wondering if are blazers could run without the axle installed into the hub and have no issues with the bearings in the hub? Leaving the inner axle cup installed on the axle housing ofcourse and not using 4wd.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:06 AM

I went to the website and read more about the company.
It is a re-name of an old company, Dearborne Axle that supplies parts to the Detroit area. They stated that they manufactuer their own axles and rack & pinions in house...but nothing else, so I assume everything else in imported like everyone else.

Odd thing is that at their website I could not find the suspension kit that is on ebay. Makes me wonder if there are two different Detroit Axle companies.....have to look into this more.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Do you have experience regarding Detroit Axle, or are you speaking in general about buying products online? In regards to the OP's question, Detroit Axle is based in Detroit, and claims to manufacture all their products in house there in Detroit. I have limited experience with their products myself, however I have heard many positive reviews of their products and service. Check out their website detroitaxle.com if you want more info about the company.
I have not had any personal experience with the detroit axle.I was talking about other car products in general.I bet one thing.Alot of products on ebay are made in china.

Quick Reply: Detroit Axle Parts...any good?