2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Detroit Axle Parts...any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Do you have experience regarding Detroit Axle, or are you speaking in general about buying products online? In regards to the OP's question, Detroit Axle is based in Detroit, and claims to manufacture all their products in house there in Detroit. I have limited experience with their products myself, however I have heard many positive reviews of their products and service. Check out their website detroitaxle.com if you want more info about the company.
They like to talk. and not really do much helping besides try to direct someone to summit racing and also have some strange obsession with China.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:16 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

When I was in my mid teens [40 years ago] parts and such were imported from Japan, years later it was Taiwan, then some came out of Vietnam, Then Mexico, now its China, and every body complains. Its all parts to fix what needs fixed - buy the best that you think you can and install it - As bad as I hate to say it just because the box says made in the USA don't actually mean that it is or is even a better part, A bearing might have ball bearings made in China and the housing made in Brazil and assembled in a plant in the USA but as its assembled here it can be classified as made in the USA. Its a world economy and if every thing that you buy is made here you couldn't afford to buy it because of a small market hence higher prices. I buy local when ever I can, some parts are better priced or more readily available on line from Summit or Rock Auto ECT. But prob 90% of what you buy off them is China or made somewhere else. If I see something someone is looking for and I see it at Rock auto ect I let them know here but unlike 2cute when I need a part I need it now and neither I or the people who owns the vehicle I'm working on wants to wait a week for it to get here. The price maybe a little better but the quality of the part is usually about the same .....

Last edited by odat; 12-25-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:15 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I fully understand that just because the box says "Made in USA" has a different meaning than what it used to; maybe assembled in the USA but components are usualy not.

The trouble I have had with China parts more often than others is the low quality of materials. The steel is not the same...even the plastics are not.....the parts just seem to not last very long. Not really anything I can do about it...even so called "brand names" are now made in China with what appears to be the same materials.

Finding parts "Made in Japan" are not easy to find anymore.

I will likely just get one of the suspension kits off of ebay and take a good look at it; I may end-up sending it back...but at least I will know then.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:09 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I have always been a GM guy and when I can, I like to buy AC Delco parts to repair and maintain my cars. For a 1994 GM sedan I own, I went to the Chevy dealer and bought a AC Delco flasher for the turn signals. I figured that if the original GM turn signals had lasted 20 years, these new AC Delco's would last 20 years. I went home to replace them and noticed the box said made in China. The flasher lasted 3 months!

Old 03-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Dave Lybarger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Do you have experience regarding Detroit Axle, or are you speaking in general about buying products online? In regards to the OP's question, Detroit Axle is based in Detroit, and claims to manufacture all their products in house there in Detroit. I have limited experience with their products myself, however I have heard many positive reviews of their products and service. Check out their website detroitaxle.com if you want more info about the company.
Just received this confirmation email from Detroit Axle:
All of our suspension parts are a Detroit Axle Brand that is manufactured at a facility that we oversee in China.

Evelyn

XS[[128133771][DUMZHGK44J37S]]
Detroit Axle
Customer Support Hours
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm Eastern Time
Sat 8am-4pm Eastern Time
Phone (248)-543-6408

So, their parts are NOT made in the US, but in China