2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Disable air bags for collision work

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member
neurotox is on a distinguished road
Default Disable air bags for collision work

Hi guys, I totalled my Blazer over the weekend and bought the title from the insurance company for $300. It may or may not be worth the gamble but thought I'd take a shot. Anyway, we're taking the bumper off that was damaged and I'm nervous about accidentally firing off the airbags. How do I prevent this from happening? Obviously I'm going to disconnect the battery, but I'm also nervous about when I am finally ready to plug the battery back in, will the bags just go off from the sensor being disconnected or something. Obviously I need to research airbag sensors more cuz I have no clue what I'm talking about, but do you guys have any Blazer specific suggestions? THanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search and you shall find...:
98+ SIR Airbag Disabling & Enabling Procedures

The Tech Article (DIY) section is great isn't it!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member

Ouch cardinal sin. Sorry Kyle..... Honestly I searched through posts for 45 minutes.... I even searched for SIR. I should have just searched in just the articles.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Beginning Member

After reviewing the article, I guess I still have a question. I'll disable the SIR before I start taking stuff off. But are there sensors in the bumper/frontend that I'll need watch out for? or are the sensors contained to the SIR system itself? For instance if I was (HYPOTHETICALLY) to cut the first 4 inches of the blazer off and renabled the SIR system, would the airbags go off? Or would they be fine at that point? I know it seems like a stupid question but the fundamental lack of understanding for me is knowing how the airbag knows to deploy. I know that it has sensors, but are they placed throughout the vehicle or contained to the SIR?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

There will be two frontal impact sensors mounted to the bottom side of the radiator core support. The wiring leading to them should be yellow. Just disconnect the wiring and move it out of the way before you start chopping at things.

Here is a overview diagram for the system:

theoretically, when the airbag light is on, the system is shutdown, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a malfunction that could set off an airbag.