2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Distributor Play

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016 | 06:35 PM
|
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road
Default Distributor Play

Hey Guys,
I just wanted t re-visit the question about clearances between the cam and distributor gear. So, how much play is too much play and what would the symptoms be from the extra clearance? I feel I may need to remove the cap and re-check the slop with an indicator. I just can't seem to get a smooth running engine.
Later,
Thanks

btw, it's a 96' model 4.3

Old 11-01-2016 | 08:40 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

If you can wait until Friday I will measure my rotor movement with a dial indicator. Cam and distributor both have about 10k miles.

Old 11-02-2016 | 09:37 AM
|
Starting Member

Yeah, that'd be great.
Thx

Old 11-03-2016 | 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Have you removed/replaced the distributor? What is your cam retard reading at?

Old 11-05-2016 | 09:04 AM
|
Starting Member

It seems to settle in around .8 to 1 on average for cam retard. It also is original equipment with a new ac cap and rotor. I have about 113000 on it.

Old 11-05-2016 | 11:28 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
If you can wait until Friday I will measure my rotor movement with a dial indicator. Cam and distributor both have about 10k miles.
The total slop back and forth at my rotor tip measures 0.021" with a dial indicator. This was measured with engine cold. Never heard of anyone posting this measurement before, but I have no reason to expect more play unless distributor gear is worn or end-play in the distributor shaft is excessive and the distributor gear is allowed to ride up on the cam gear. This distributor is a Skip White all-aluminum and the engine a rebuilt GM Goodwrench. Both were new 10K miles ago. Runs like a clock. Hope this helps.

RexMBurns, Gregg (Graveyard) got the software and adjusted cam retard a while back. Used Dash Command if I remember correctly, as we couldn't get Car Gauge Pro to work on a 1996. Can't remember what the cam retard was before adjustment.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-05-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2016 | 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
RexMBurns, Gregg (Graveyard) got the software and adjusted cam retard a while back.
Ahh thank you! Let this be a lesson in keeping all related/relevant information in 1 single thread so that people can know the complete history of what has been done or tried pertaining to the issue at hand After looking up the history just now it appears there are several threads regarding the issues he's been working through. Graveyard in the future please keep related issues to one thread to allow others to better help you by knowing whats been going on from the beginning.

Old 11-05-2016 | 08:32 PM
|
Starting Member

Sorry Everyone, Your very correct, I should have used the old thread.
Hey Les, thank you for the info. I forgot to bring my indicator home from work. I'll check the slop Monday.

Old 11-08-2016 | 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

No worries it just helps everyone know whats going on and in turn helps people help you. You are certainly not the first and most certainly won't be the last!

Old 11-15-2016 | 06:57 PM
|
Starting Member

Okay, finally got time to check the play. side to side around the tip of the rotor...about .03 to .035 total. Vertically, around .04 to .045 which actually will increase the side to side but I didn't measure that. I did read my codes and I had a ....p1144 or 42? It was low voltage to the throttle position sensor.
I cleared it, and tried to remember the code but every day is a new day...lol
Later

Quick Reply: Distributor Play