2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

distributor/timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bobs99
I also do realize that the rotor turns as it drops in and should end up on the triangle not start there and advance past it. Lesmyer you mentioned that both double and single asterick CMP retard in Car Gauge Pro approach zero at the same time. Why are my initial readings 6 something* and 17 something**?
Because they have not approached zero yet. When you set 6 something* to zero, then 17 something** will also have gone to zero in Car Gauge Pro, in my experience. I have three other softwares that read CMP retrd and the single * in Car Gauge Pro is the one that matches them all. The ** is obviously a GM enhanced PID that is meant for a different engine unknown to me.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-25-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Rescaned and there are No Codes showing up.
Then you are ready to do the bracket mod and get CMP retard set to zero. However I would not expect a CMP retard of only 6 to cause a severe running problem.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-25-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member
bobs99 is on a distinguished road

Suspect dizzy causing SOME of the noise as the front cap screw hole broke out as noise became bad. Ordered a new one should be here 31st - 3rd of next week so will continue with plan to check Compression this weekend. Thanks for not putting me off, I will Not be back on till Monday night. Unless I get undesirable Compression readings. OR Dizzy comes early.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 PM

Suspect dizzy causing SOME of the noise as the front cap screw hole broke out as noise became bad. Ordered a new one should be here 31st - 3rd of next week so will continue with plan to check Compression this weekend. Thanks for not putting me off, I will Not be back on till Monday night. Unless I get undesirable Compression readings. OR Dizzy comes early.
A lot of us have had good results with this distirbutor - it's really inexpensive and made out of metal!

Skip White Performance Detail Description

Old 01-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Beginning Member
Old 01-27-2017, 10:00 PM

Bet it's the same one sold by a different vendor. Good find.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member

Ok. New dizzy here but not in. Ran short on time again this weekend however did get old dizzy hold down slotted enough to get CMP to -.4 . Engine is not changing still Knocking /Tapping . Back to finding time to do compression Test and go from there. I still dont want to believe Timing Chain slipped But WHAT else could it be? Help.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:59 PM

Ok. New dizzy here but not in. Ran short on time again this weekend however did get old dizzy hold down slotted enough to get CMP to -.4 . Engine is not changing still Knocking /Tapping . Back to finding time to do compression Test and go from there. I still dont want to believe Timing Chain slipped But WHAT else could it be? Help.
Thought the tapping was the distributor from the cap not being held down. Don't worry we will get to the bottom of it. Gotta run tonight though. I'll be back on tomorrow.

Might be useful if you could post a video of your noise and your misfire.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-30-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Beginning Member

Not really savvy on vidio posting sorry but may need help with that also.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 AM

Not really savvy on vidio posting sorry but may need help with that also.
Put it on Youtube and make it public. The easiest way is to use the Android (or iPhone) Youtube app and your cell phone to take video from inside the app and automatically (well, almost automatically) post it on youtube. You will probably want to be hooked to wifi when actually uploading the video, so if it isn't on wifi in your driveway then walk into the house and let your cell connect to wifi before doing the actual upload.

Once you have it on youtube and have made it public, then link to the video from inside this thread. If you can't figure out how to link the video so it runs inside the forum page, then simply post the url for the Youtube page and we can go there.

Don't get intimidated. It's pretty easy once you have the youtube app and an account. Soon you'll be slinging videos all over the Internet!!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-31-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: distributor/timing