2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Does your Blazer "POP"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 AM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does your Blazer "POP"?

Ever since I got this thing I have noticed this strange metallic thud. My guess is it is in the suspension, sometimes it will do it when I am stopped at a light, sometimes while the truck is in park. Sometimes just a fewseconds after stopping, other times it can be a few minutes after sitting still. This morning it was fairly loud and happened 2 or 3 minutes after the truck had been turned off and I had gotten out.

Just curious if it's something I need to tighten up in the leaf's or something as it sounds like it is coming from the rear.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Does your Blazer "POP"?

The first thing I would do is install the spring washers on the hood hinge pivot bolts.

THIS thread has the PN for the conical spring washers available.

THIS thread discusses other things that could be causing the popping noise.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the links (searching....who'dathunkit). This is coming from the back and doesn't ever happen while the truck is moving, always a few seconds/minutes after it has been stopped.

The rear shocks could be it (haven't inspected them closely). Sounds a lot like a bolt settling to me it also sorta makes a thud you feel in your butt when it does it.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I must have loaded the thread before the edit... Sorry about that. Completely missed the 'from the rear' part of your post.

Anyway, if it is coming from the rear, it is possible that it is the muffler. Does it have a metallic ting to it or is it more of a thud as you have described it?

If it is a thud, then I guess it would be possible for a shock to cause it... Can you make it happen by jumping on the back of the truck? I guess I would go around with some lithium grease spray and just spray down the bushings for the shocks, between the leaf springs, sway bar bushings if equiped, and the bushings on the ends of the springs. See if that helps it.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM

It's a......hollow almost metalic bonk type sound. I know that probably doesn't help. I plan to throw it on some friends lift and checking out underneath and will see if I see anything. I know I have a hole somewhere underneath because the carpet has been wet in the back after doing a under body wash at the car wash one day.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

Push down on the corner of your hood by the windshield , if it clunks that's your problem , if it doesn't keep lookin

Zed