2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dome Light and Interior lights stay on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 03:40 PM
Washuchan is on a distinguished road
Question Dome Light and Interior lights stay on all the time

I was wondering if I can could feedback, advice and help on this problem. I have a 2004 chevy blazer ls 4 door 4x4. My problem started a few weeks ago and with the dome light and interior lights staying on all the time. I pushed the dome light override button to see if that would stop the problem. It did not so after I got home I talked with my father he told me to use some wd 40 on the door jam buttons and the dome light override button. I used some of the wd 40 and pushed all the buttons alot so the wd 40 can work. The first time it did work and the all light were back to normal and so was the dome light over ride button. A few weeks go by and now I am back in the same boat with a little twist. This time the dome light override is stopping the light from being on all the time.

Side note on problem I noticed while driving that my drive side door lock will not stay locked and even after pressing the door lock button itself on the door. I have to use the key fob button to lock the driver side door while driving.

I talked with father again did the same trick again with the wd 40 and nothing this time. He asked if there was any other problems with my blazer besides the light problem and I told no. He looked at the blazer and he asked if have used the dome light override button after the problem was some what fixed the first time I told him yes, because I did not need the head light running during the day time. I know if you pushed that button about 4 times it will stop the drl lights from running.

We both noticed that dome light override is getting old about 20 years old now. I had a hard time tracking down a headlight switch for my blazer but, I got the last from the chevy dealership in my state and that is state wide from ac delco. My headlight switch does not have the foglight button on it. I got that part in my hand now.

I have a tried a few things to see if I can narrow down this problem. I have the dome light override pushed to where the lights will not stay on. That is good right now for no dead battery. What I have done is checked the fuse box on the inside panel everything is good and the fuse box in the engine bay I did not check because those relays are in there super tight and I am afraid I will break one if I try to remove it. I was going to check three of them that was the horn, drl, mir/lkg that what good year and my father suggested i check and no clue on them, because I did not pull them. I did check out all the door jam switches with all the lights running and with the key in the ign. I did push the drive side switch in the door chime did stop, but the lights did not get out . My father and I tried opening up different doors and pushing the door jam button and lights still stay on. No problem with the tail gate. I will be taking it to good year and having them look at it. I was trying to narrow down what the problem could before I take it to the shop.

I am guessing its one of the following problems

1. Headlight switch never been replaced and it still the original part "Something could be stuck or worn out"
2. BCM body control modu going out maybe
3. Power lock switch or control for that I just read that could be tied into this
4. Bad relay or stuck relay
5. A short in the system god I hope that is not the problem.