2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Door pin- Cracks on B-piller

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:01 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Door pin- Cracks on B-piller

Please take a look at this photo. Do these cracks around the black pin on the B-piller pose any threat to safety? How would I fix this if it DOES pose a threat to safety should the worst happen? It doesn't seem to move much. It wiggles very very little from side to side, but not very much to be noticable. I know the door pins need replacement on the hinges because the door drops like 1/4 an inch when the door is open and I almost broke my elbow the other day trying to smash the door open parking uphill. Other than that, the door opens from the outside without incident other than a little resistance opening it. The truck has never been in any type of accident other than a little parking lot fender-bender on the right fender above the wheel (small dent, not my fault. Some stupid individual who floored it in reverse. The Jimmy stood up well to the hit. The other car was a Hyndai Tuscon and the corner of plastic bumper crushed on impact).

Attached Thumbnails Door pin- Cracks on B-piller-0428091618.jpg  
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is not good... Provided that the support in the back of the hinge location is not busted up too much, you should be able to remove the pin and beat the panel back into shape, then weld up the cracks. Grind it back flat and reassemble, preferrably with a good replacement pin assembly.

Replace those door hinge pins/bushings first though.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

I've posted this in another door thread, but I filled the egg shaped bushing holes on my Jimmy, with JB Weld, and got new bushings in, at the same time. It's been like two months now, and the JB is still holding solid! Easy and cheap repair.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you use JB Weld, use the puddy, not the paste. It works better. And clean the surfaces really well to remove all petroleum based products that may cause the JB Weld to not adhere.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old topic, but provided I were to replace the door pins and bushings, would it be possible to put epoxy (JB Weld or something like that) around the door pin shown in the photo to fix it so I don't have to spend alot of $$$ getting it welded? I might be going away to college in a few months and I really don't want to have to take it in for this because I keep getting screwed on unusual jobs like this with our local mechanics. It wiggles a little bit and it makes a little noise when you try to pull the door hard with it locked, but is strong up and down with no movement. A friend of mine recommended I drill 1/4" holes at the end of the cracks to stop the cracking also. If I were to do that and epoxy would it be strong enough?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator

JB Weld is not going to repair that damage.