2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

dougjewell

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:48 AM
jewelldo is on a distinguished road
Default dougjewell

Hi, i am a new forum member so no doubt i will make mistakes, so appologies in advance. I am a Brit who bought a 2000 model 4.3 vortec Blazer LT in the UK a year or so ago, chassis number.igndt13w9xk158681.
I moved to Bulgaria and drove it accross europe and Turkey with no problems at all, to me (and i am an engineer) the engine and transmission seems really good, and i like the car. The every now and again i would not be able to start the car and it did not seem to matter what i did with the remote buttons and internal lock buttons it would simply not start, and the dash security light would not go out. So i would leave it for a few hours and when i came back, it would start up and everything was fine again untill the next time, this was frustrating and so i tried taking it to a local security guy who turned out to be usless, and i looked on the forums with out much success, so i resigned myself to just excepting and living with it. Then my life used it last week, and she phoned me up saying she could not start the car and this time even the remote did not do any thing ? So i drove out to her and found that she was right, nothing seems to work any more on the remote and i have two remotes so i know there is no fault with the remote. The internal lock switch still works and the little red light above the hazard switch still works but nothing else the security dash light does not go out, and even when i occasionally get the starter to engage the ignition does not. It has now been stuck in a public car park covered in 1 meter of snow for a week, and i cannot do anything i have checked the fuses, disconected the battery etc all for nothing ! I have rung the chevy dealer in Plovdiv and he has said we dont deal with this model now and if you can bring it to me we will look for 100 Euro's but cannot guarantee anything. So it will cost me 200 euros to get it their and still no guarantee of fixing the problem ??!! I would dearly love to just disable the security system all together as it serves no purpose here, as the last car that got stolen in this area was two years ago and it was headline news ! If there is anyone out there that can help me with this, i would be iternally gratefull... Thanks, Doug.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

well you checked the block on the easy solutions: battery connections, and fuses... i am sure you have also checked to ensure the battery is holding a charge was wasn't sapped by the cold weather you took it into...

There is a semi-common problem that causes a lot of fail-to-starts that lead to the vehicle starting up later... Your ignition switch may have given up the good fight. A faulty ignition switch has similar start -> won't start -> starts if you screw with it -> no problems -> wont start at all symptoms. this thread will walk you through an ignition switch swap

this thread should help you chase down you factory security system wiring if thats the way you choose to go, but i would try the ignition switch. i believe they can even be tested at some parts stores though i am not savvy on what is available to you in Bulgaria

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-13-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a common trend regarding Blazers overseas. A few other members have had similar problems with the system you're describing, Doug. I'll have to look around some more to find the threads where this is addressed.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks very much for your quick response, i really appreciate it.

Doug

Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Thanks for this, i looked at the thread for changing the ignition switch and i am definately up for having a go, i am not familar with these things but i think i can muddle my way through. There is no one that i can find in Bulgaria that seems to have a clue. Can you suggest where best to get a new ignition switch for my Blazer ? Thanks again

Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

well, i would order one on the internet. Rock Auto has just about everything, but again... i dunno how to make it work in Bulgaria

i would also hold out to see if TBB has anything helpful

Old 02-14-2010, 04:03 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I found the thread I was thinking of. Not sure if it will help but here it is:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...light=european

Old 02-24-2010, 06:51 PM
KnottsIslandMailBlazer is on a distinguished road

Doug,

We have a 2001 Blazer LT. Lots of use. We've had similiar problems with random non starting and someone on this forum suggested having a key cut from the dealer using the VIN. It worked. I'm just the driver (and researcher) and my husband is the "fixer" but something about the wearing down of the key and the security of the truck non communitating properly.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Default Blazer starting problems

Thanks for that, i will try and get a new key cut, its worth a try. My blazer is still sat in the middle of the ski station car park covered in snow ! I have tried everything including cutting some light green wires inside the drivers door ! I have re joined them now. The key fob, (ihave two) simply does not work anymore, so i am stuck, and the battery has run down, so as soon as i can i will tow it out with my old landrover with points ignition, manual box, no alarm at all, and hardly any heater, but its still rolling........ I wonder sometimes if the manufacture of cars today has just got to clever ? I will have to tow the chevy 80 miles to Plovdiv and they have made it clear they are not promising anything. The UK dealer does not even exist anymore. I wish i could simply bypass everything, but i know i cant. I will try the key though, so thanks.
Doug

Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 PM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jewelldo
Thanks for that, i will try and get a new key cut, its worth a try. My blazer is still sat in the middle of the ski station car park covered in snow ! I have tried everything including cutting some light green wires inside the drivers door ! I have re joined them now. The key fob, (ihave two) simply does not work anymore, so i am stuck, and the battery has run down, so as soon as i can i will tow it out with my old landrover with points ignition, manual box, no alarm at all, and hardly any heater, but its still rolling........ I wonder sometimes if the manufacture of cars today has just got to clever ? I will have to tow the chevy 80 miles to Plovdiv and they have made it clear they are not promising anything. The UK dealer does not even exist anymore. I wish i could simply bypass everything, but i know i cant. I will try the key though, so thanks.
Doug
Doug,

I have had this problem on two different GM cars, one was an 02 Chevy Impala and a Buick Lucerne, here is what it is acording to my local Chevy dealer, there is a conflict between the key and the security part of the computer for the car. It does not recongnize your key and thinks the car has been broken into and goes into security mode, soon the short goes away and the car works. Of all things, it has to do with the anti-theft radio too.

The only way to fix this is to get a new computer installed or do it your self like I did from a junk yard, being over there I know this will be hard, but I would check US eBay and look for one with international shipping. It was mostly easy on the Impala to replace but the Buick was a pain. I had to take mine back in to the shop after the install to have the radio programmed.

Again this is what happened with mine, I hope it helps you out. Good Luck.
Beef