2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

The dreaded squeal

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM
danicat is on a distinguished road
Default The dreaded squeal

I have read several (well, more than several!) threads on this topic, but none of them helped me, so here goes.

To start, I have a 1998 Blazer, everything is pretty stock standard except the Flowmaster exhaust and the upgraded air filter (K&N) which is kept clean. Everything is well maintained, I do it myself and I use synthetic oil, etc.

That said, I have a horrendous squeak. It's very loud, especially when I get up next to a vehicle or wall. It's positively maddening. It started small and occasional and over a few months has gotten to where it is always there, from the moment I start the car to the moment I turn it off.

I started by replacing the tensioner pulley. That didn't work. I replaced the idler pulley next. No dice. The clutch on my AC was wobbling and there was rusty dust coming from it. So, I replaced that and in the process broke the tubing (Couldn't get the nut loose and twisted the tubing on the top, haha, I guess I'm super strong rawr) to the evap coils so had to replace that. So, count that as replaced compressor, accumulator and coils. As an aside, my thermostat went out, replaced that too. It was a failsafe and replaced with a failsafe, so no running hot, just really cold.

How do I figure out what pulley it is without running though and replacing EVERYTHING?

Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Replace your serp belt with a Goodyear gator back belt I bet the squeal will be gone!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

Dude do a new belt!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member
hvkkid is on a distinguished road

A new belt would've been cheaper to jump into replacing that all those pulleys lol

Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

No offense man, But why did you replace ALL that before the belt?

Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Oh, well I just left that off the list! New belt was done first, it was a touch worn, but not really anything major, just figured it wouldn't be a harm to replace it. So that was first. It still shows no sign of wear.

I JUST got in from doing the A/C and I'm a little sick of the whole thing, forgive me for leaving one thing out! Haha!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Ok, I looked around, found the Gatorback that fits. Since I'm throwing money around like I have it, should I go ahead and get the Gatorback tensioner? Does it make a difference? I feel, that even though it was replaced and literally made zero difference to the sound, that it's my tensioner.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Have you tried removing the belt and starting the engine.... just to make sure it's belt related?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM
spittybays

Hook man you just blew my mind!!!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I just HAD to ask

Quick Reply: The dreaded squeal