2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dripping coolant badly !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dripping coolant badly !!!

Just to test my diagnostic skills: A friend brought over his son's '95 Blazer that was bleeding coolant quite badly. On my driveway, with the engine running, the coolant was dripping heavily from the area under the engine. We quickly ruled out bad hoses, connections, water pump, etc. Everything was dry on the top side that we could see. Shutting the Blazer down made the dripping slow down but it was still dripping. My diagnosis was blown intake manifold gaskets. The Blazer runs well, other than the dripping coolant. I don't suspect the block is cracked or anything that serious. Vehicle has 150K miles (bought used, previous maintenence not known) but it doesn't look like it was cared for very well. What else could it be, other than IMG's?

My friend has 2 left hands (figuratively) and no patience to work on cars, so I'm helping him out as best I can. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:06 AM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dripping coolant badly !!!

Sounds like your on the right path. Mine did that awhile back and the portion of the intake gasket that is on the front side of where the thermostat is.When it happend to me same thinng could see it dripping puddle but didn't know quite where it was coming from. When I went to the parts store to get a new one the guy told me that since most blazers new(body styleI thinklike 95 to 2005) run hot. Which dependingon mileageand driving condition can cause them to fail.Mine runs like 195 even on a cold day once warmed up. In the summer 90plus degree day with the A/C itis not uncommon for the temp to be 210 to 220 which theChevy dealer says is normal. Start with that a work from there. Good Luck, hope this helps!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy dye tablets to put into the cooling system to help show you where the coolant is leaking from. I would do this as it should definitively show you the location of the leak.

But keep a close eye on the engine oil just to make sure that it isn't also leaking into the oil...

Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great idea Kyle didn't even think about that. I am use to do doing everything the redneck way if you can't fix without fancy stuff just duct tape it. lol.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, I warned my friend about this possibility. I checked the dip stick when we were looking around and it looks like clean oil (for now). I told him he can't pussyfoot around with this problem for too long otherwise if the gasket goes completely, he'd have chocolate milk in the crankcase (as I well know).

Unfortunately for the Blazer, I think he's a bit intimidated by the engine setup and won't step up to fix it NOW. He's not a do-er, he's a payer, but he hates to pay (cheap).

Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM
MindlessCorpse is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah that sounds same as when mt intake manifold gasket went...was hard to spot too...in fact i 'thought' (notice my name is 'mindless') it was coming from one of the port's on the water pump,...wrong. it was 1" above the port, coming from the left front corner of the manifold. i found this out after i had removed, cleaned, inspected and re-installed the water pump
Shop was gonna charge for a minium of 1 day labor (520 bucks) plus parts, and said it might take longer...so i dug in and did it myself. Parts, including spray copper, emery cloth, the Right Stuff sealant, brake parts cleaner, anti freeze(not Dex-Cool), new hose clamps, and minor intake gasket kit was less than, but close too 100 bucks total. i have all the tool's so was cool there.It took me a day and a half. and some cussing. But saved me what?? 600-700 bucks over what the shop's final bill could have been? I think doing it muself was worth it. I have never worked on a chevy 4.3L Vortec with CMSFI before, but it wasnt that bad.
If you elect to do the job yourself, here's a few pointers i would like too have known before i started the job.
~not necessarly in order~
use an Engine de-greaser/cleaner on the top on the engine. Rinse and let dry. Blow it off with compressed air.
dont worry much about the wires, they pretty much will only plug back in where they go, just dont forget how many you un-hook, and count 'em when you hook 'em back up
Remember which bolts come from where and put 'em back where they came from.
you need too pull the radiator. When you go to drain it, either Shoot the drain valve off the Radiator(that's the only way you will get to it), or drain it by pulling the lower hose. Dont worry about the puddle, the neighbor's dog's and/or cat's will take care of it. [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]
i wound up using a wooden paint stirer too scrape the old gasket material up with,...i put an edge on the end of it with a bench grinder, scrapped for a while, then put a new edge on it, continued 'til i was done...worked pretty good, and NO GOUGES!! Followed that up with emery cloth.
Try and use a shop-vac. to help keep your work clean.
I didnt do this one, but i wish i had, i would have felt better about it!! Take and cut 2 one foot sections of 1/4 inch wooden dowl, and when you get ready to put the manifold back into position on the block, put the dowl's in a couple of the intake manifold bolt holes(dosent really matter which two) and slide the intake down these rods into place on the block. this will help keep it from slipping and maybe messing up your seal job.
Dont forget to stuff the intake ports with clean cloth, as soon as they are exposed to keep "stuff" outta them
i guess there's more, but i forget......i'm
mindless
&nbs