2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Driver Door Sag...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
donny612 is on a distinguished road
Default Driver Door Sag...

I have a 2001 Trailblazer which has worn door hinge bushings. So I figured hey, no biggie, I'll just replace them. So I got the old ones out and put in the new bushings and hinge pins and the door drop was much improved but not back to normal. As a few weeks passed the door drop after opening the door worsened. So i said hey, replace the bushings again as I could see they were mostly broken. This time I did a better job of cleaning out the holes and replaced them again. Well guess what...they're broken again. Is there anywhere to get those bushings with some quality and not these stupid pot metal bushings???? Some good steel bushings, I'm sure, would take care of the problem but all I can find are the pot metal ones. I haven't checked with the dealer for a replacement Chevrolet part, but that may be my next stop. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!!
Thanks,

Last edited by donny612; 08-28-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Beginning Member
hdwingding is on a distinguished road

i got what seems to be a decent set from "rock auto" make sure the hinge plates are not severely oblonged. if steel is really needed, a look or call to "Mc Master Carr" should find you what you need. i would aquire a new pin set as to be able to measure the inferior bushings to equate them to steel.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:42 AM
akaSPITTYBAYS is on a distinguished road

think mine were dorman and seem fine

Old 09-02-2014, 03:32 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I have the same issue, the problem is that the hole in the hinge is too far oblonged and the weight of the door is simply breaking the bushing.

The only cheap and easy hope for repairing it is to take a welder and fill in the oblong side of the hole and grind/drill the hole back to the proper size. A person could also use a torch and braze the hole back to shape for grinding/drilling but I would think the welder would be the better option.

A more expensive option, but not nearly as expensive or troublesome as replacing the entire hinge, would be to order and install one of THESE kits. The premise behind the kit is to drill out the oblong hole to get a nice oversize one then use oversize bushings. The kits also have the ONLY greaseable hinge pins for these trucks I've found on the market.

I'm considering the expensive kit because after spending the money on a new engine and transmission I plan on keeping this truck for a LONG time.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Might try these first. They are available .010 and .020 oversize: Catalog :: Total Automotive Hinge Kit Solutions

Also, you can't just beat the bushings in with a hammer. Either the bushing will shatter, or the hinge ear will bend, or both. They must be pressed in.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-02-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:25 PM

+++^^^ C-Clamp

Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, that works. C clamp or a bolt and nut with a socket on the underside. Make sure the bushing is straight, and pull her in.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:03 PM

Chuck the nut and bolt is genius!
Love it. I can think about ten things to play with that idea right now.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
donny612 is on a distinguished road
Default Oversize?

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Might try these first. They are available .010 and .020 oversize: Catalog :: Total Automotive Hinge Kit Solutions

Also, you can't just beat the bushings in with a hammer. Either the bushing will shatter, or the hinge ear will bend, or both. They must be pressed in.

Is it just the o.d. that's oversize or is the entire bushing larger? Do I need oversize hinge pins as well or is the i.d. the standard size? Thanks!!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:45 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Hows the body mount under the front of the door?

Quick Reply: Driver Door Sag...