2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

driver side window not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
MindzEyeWRX02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driver side window not working

My GF has an 01 Blazer and her window has not been working for about a year. She took it to her dad and he said he would fix it but has not gotten around to it so far, she asked some guy at her work that works at a chevy shop (she is a Union Bank teller), he said it was probably some electrical problems, where as i think it probably a shot window motor or something like that.

Is there any know issues with these going out?? what would i need to attempt to fix this?? a new window Regulator & Motor??

many thanks in advanced.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: driver side window not working

It's probably the motor. Check fuses first though. I've done a couple on early 90's GM G bodies and it's essentially the same setup. There's a write up in the DIY section on how to do it. It's for a '93, but they've used the same style for years so I'm pretty sure it'll work for you.
It's not that hard of a job, but take heed on the author's warningto clamp the brackets together before you remove the motor from the bracket assembly. The spring pressure is pretty strong and can bite you HARD if you're not paying attention.

Before you buy the motor, take the door panel off and inspect for any corrosion on all of the connectors. If you have a voltmeter, unplug the motor and measure the voltage at the connector that supplies electricity to the motor. If you have 12 volts there, it's definitely the motor.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:02 AM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

take the door panel off and tap the motor with a wrench or something like it. If it works afterwards, the motors on its last legs. I Had this happen with my passenger window and it didn't work one day and hasn't stopped since.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:22 PM
JBLAZE is an unknown quantity at this point

REPLACE WINDOW DRIVE MOTOR, YOU WILL HAVE TO DRILL OUT RIVETS THAT HOLD DRIVE IN PLACE AND USESMALL MACHINE BOLTS AND NUTS TO MOUNT NEW MOTOR .

Old 03-20-2008, 03:02 AM
MindzEyeWRX02 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: garry2000blazer

It's probably the motor. Check fuses first though. I've done a couple on early 90's GM G bodies and it's essentially the same setup. There's a write up in the DIY section on how to do it. It's for a '93, but they've used the same style for years so I'm pretty sure it'll work for you.
It's not that hard of a job, but take heed on the author's warningto clamp the brackets together before you remove the motor from the bracket assembly. The spring pressure is pretty strong and can bite you HARD if you're not paying attention.

Before you buy the motor, take the door panel off and inspect for any corrosion on all of the connectors. If you have a voltmeter, unplug the motor and measure the voltage at the connector that supplies electricity to the motor. If you have 12 volts there, it's definitely the motor.
i'll check out the diy section and read up about it. my dad is an electrician so i'll have him test out the motor. thanks for the info.

ORIGINAL: ltown21

take the door panel off and tap the motor with a wrench or something like it. If it works afterwards, the motors on its last legs. I Had this happen with my passenger window and it didn't work one day and hasn't stopped since.
thanks for your input

ORIGINAL: JBLAZE

REPLACE WINDOW DRIVE MOTOR, YOU WILL HAVE TO DRILL OUT RIVETS THAT HOLD DRIVE IN PLACE AND USESMALL MACHINE BOLTS AND NUTS TO MOUNT NEW MOTOR .
thanks. i have a rivet gun, can i just put new rivets in?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

a A new/re-manned motor will come with nuts and bolts...use these. good luck jp[&:]