2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

DRL not working after radio install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Starting Member
idriveblazar is on a distinguished road
Default DRL not working after radio install

Hello, I drive a 2000 Blazer LS and did a radio install today, I have a 2 channel amp so the need to wire all the speaker wires to the harness seemed pointless. Does the light sensor receive power from one of the speakers? Or did I possibly unplug a wire somewhere?

EDIT: My brights, headlights, and running lights all work when manually turned on, this just happened today and I can tell it is going to be a hassle if I don't fix it.

Last edited by idriveblazar; 02-24-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You could consider yourself lucky, since this is a common mode to disable?
Otherwise, no, it does not get power from a speaker wire from what I believe.
You could have unhooked something when installing the radio. I would pull the radio and check behind to look for anything that could be unhooked.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

I don't want it disabled, and do you know where exactly I'd look for wires to have unattached from?

Old 02-24-2015, 10:05 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I do not know the exact location. I would search behind the radio real well for anything that is not hooked up..
That is too much of a coincidence that you put in a radio and they stopped working.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Starting Member

There was already an aftermarket radio that I have removed several times, I've looked around today and saw nothing at all.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Are you referring to the Autolamp feature not working, or the daytime running lights are not working? Two different systems that control the headlamps. The Autolamp light sensor is in the right front speaker grille. Pull the grille out and make sure the sensor is attached to the grille, and the connector is plugged into the sensor.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:34 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

I'm not really sure how messing with the radio effected it, but when you find out what happened let everyone know, you may have found another way to disable the system lol I hate the feature personally... If I want the lights on, I'll turn the darn things on myself!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Starting Member
tenorsaxdude is on a distinguished road

blazen, if you want to disable the autolights, double click your dome-light override button. That should then give you manual control with the selector.

If its the DRL's you want to disable, can't help you there

Old 02-27-2015, 02:46 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tenorsaxdude
blazen, if you want to disable the autolights, double click your dome-light override button. That should then give you manual control with the selector.

If its the DRL's you want to disable, can't help you there
I do, every time I hop in the truck lol gets old, I want it to PERMANENTLY be disabled. I don't want ANY of my lights to come on at any time unless I turn the switch

Old 02-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Starting Member
tenorsaxdude is on a distinguished road

Hmm I wonder what I did then because I did that once and its stayed that way until I double clicked it again, weeks later.

This is on my 01 Jimmy

Quick Reply: DRL not working after radio install