2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

E-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Starting Member
Numba1Sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E-Brake

My E-Brake just stopped working out of no where, i dont even use it often . i went to use it the other day and it just came back up no ratcheting sound anymore. handle is not stuck and works properly as far as it still pulls the cable. its almost like it has a big rubberband on it so when i push down on it, it automatically springs back up.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: E-Brake

Ok i would say try hoding the cable underneath the truck and see if the rachet catches. If it does then i would proceed to the rear axel and jack it and pull off your tires. then i would take a look at the insides of the park brake. there is a small peice that i had snap inside mine and after i had replaced both rear cables discovered that this was my problem. you should be able to pick up a repair kit from your local auto parts store for around $30 dollars. sounds alot harder than it really is

Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The parking brake retention mechanism is built into the pedal assembly inside the passenger compartment. Remove the driver side kick panel and have a look at the mechanism. It may just need to be moved and lubricated to provide proper function. When you push down on the pedal, does it engage the parking brake so long as you keep pressure on the pedal?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 PM
flyinquack is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same problem too. my cable works as long as its depressed. i checked under the car while i pushed it by hand to make sure the cable moves, and it does. it holds my car on a hill the brake light on my dash comes on too. it just doesn't ratchet down.
It may just need to be moved and lubricated to provide proper function.
what do you mean by this?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the panel and have a look at the mechanism. You will see what is there once the panel is removed.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Starting Member

yea the light comes on and it holds on hills, as long as my foot is on that pedal. so what your saying is take the kick panel off and i might be able to fix it. do you think i should remove the knee bolster too?

Sorry figured i would just combine my posts.

Swartlkk: im still having issues with the rpms jumping and pushing me foward while trying to stop after cleaning the throttle body and egr valve. and i replaced the TPS sensor too.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator

You may have a vacuum leak that is causing the surging or the IAC valve could be sticking somehow. When you cleaned the TB, did you remove the IAC valve and clean its bore?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

actually i didnt clean that, i wasnt sure you could remove it. guess i will try that and any other ideas if that dont work?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Starting Member

well i took off the kick panel and i could not figure out how to get the e-brake assembly off. i was only able to find 1 bolt for it.

RPM's: well i took the iac off and well it was nasty, so me not thinking i started to pull on it and push on it to see if it was getting hung up on something, well yea i ended up breaking it and bought a new one put it on and yea still gives a surge just not as bad anymore. so i guess that means only part of the problem is fixed.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

Its Not an exact science but to clean up my MechanisumI just sprayed mine with tons of WD-40, now mine holds like a charm again.

Quick Reply: E-Brake