2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electrical and Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 AM
WisdomRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical and Brake Issues

First off, I need to replace my Master Cylinder, I have a 97 Jimmy SLE withABS...is it really that much harder to bleed the brakes? Are the specialty tools (scan tool and valve depressors) really required? What would they run cost wise? Anyone have an estimate on how long this job would take (with the cylinder bench bled in advance).

Secondly, I have some interesting happenings with my windows. Every once in a while, when I try to roll the windows (or moonroof) down, the ABS and Parking brake dummy lights will turn on for as long as I hold the switch down. It'll only happen once every couple days, and goes away if I shut off the engine and restart....sometimes it does it without me even pressing the switch down...they'll just randomly start flashing. One time when I was on the freeway it started doing it (on it's own, not by pressing the switch) so out of curiosity I pushed the switch to see what'd happen....well the engines RPMs jumped up like 300 when I did this...I'm stumped...I'm not sure the wiring on these things...but do the brake lights and all that run on the same fuse or relay as the window switches?

Any help is always appreciated

Jacob

Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Electrical and Brake Issues

first one... When you're bleeding brakes on the car,(manually) its a two-man job. one to pump the pedal the other to open the bleeder, and refilling the reservior after every bleed. It takes about 15 minutes to change the master cylinder and 10 minutes to bleed it (if you know what you are doing).

second- sounds like you have a wire from you windos making contact with a parking and ABS wire. Id checkall the wiring and make sure you don't have a naked wire somewhere.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:29 PM
WisdomRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Electrical and Brake Issues

Awesome thanks. I've got experience bleeding brakes, just not with ABS. When I looked up the guide for doing it, it said I'd need a scan tool and the valve thingers. The job seems less intimidating now...thanks