2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electrical problem - I'm puzzled

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 AM
Beginning Member
taloka is on a distinguished road

Terry, thanks for the information. To answer your question, the first thing I did was change the fuel filter so I know that's O.K. I'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel pump this weekend since that appears to be my problem. I guess the bad pump just stops working sometimes, causing the blazer to just die and not start. Since this will be the 3rd fuel pump in the last year and a half I'd like to know that I get a good one. Is there any particular brand that you'd recommend? I'm curious about one thing, what are the 3 relays in the glove box? I understand that the one on the left is for the fuel pump, what are the other 2 for? Thanks for your help.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Beginning Member

At lunch today I checked the fuel pressure again. It checks out with the engine running at 50 psi and when it's turned off it creeps up to 60 psi over a period of 30 minutes or so. When I check the pressure by just turning the key on it jumps up to 60 and then immediately back down to 50 and bleeds on off from there. Why would it creep up to 60 psi ater the engine is turned off and only run at 50 psi.
I'm just trying to make sure I'm not investing several hundred dollars in a new fuel pump if it's not needed.
Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Beginning Member

Saturday I replaced the fuel pump and the Blazer started right up and ran fine. Sunday morning I drove it about 2 blocks, the ABS light came on and it died. Same problem I've been having all along. It would crank but not start. After setting for about 4 hours it started right up and ran fine. This morning it would not start again. I checked the fuel pressure and it's fine. This seems to me like it is an electrical problem. What do I need to check now? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Still no codes?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member

Saturday I replaced the fuel pump and the Blazer started right up and ran fine. Sunday morning I drove it 2 blocks and then the ABS light came on and it died. It would crank but not start. This is the same problem I was having before replacing the fuel pump. After about 4 hours it started and I got it home, then an hour later it would not start again. I'm thinking this is an electrical problem because two weeks ago when I had this problem the dome light came on and I had to pull a fuse to get it off. What do I need to check now? I'm running out of options and patience, not to mention money and skin on my knuckles.

Right, still no codes. Sorry I didn't see your post.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel, air, spark. All three of those are needed for the engine to run.

When the engine refuses to start using normal means, will it start with starting fluid into the intake?

If so, you know it is a fuel issue. A noid light can be used to determine if the injectors are being commanded to fire. You could have fuel pressure, but if the injectors are not being grounded out by the PCM, all the fuel pressure in the world will not matter. A failed ignition switch can cause these symptoms.

If not, then it could be air or spark. You are likely getting the proper supply of air to the engine, but does the PCM know this? Have you checked for spark when it refuses to start?

These are some pretty basic trouble shooting steps.