2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

engine lacks power

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:30 PM
2drblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine lacks power

my girlfriend did a hillstop yesterday practicing for her roadtest eversince then my car runs like crap its like im driving at 30 and if i go to pass someone i have no power it sputters i was told maybe a plugged cat what do u guys think

its a 99 4.3 vortec 4x4
2 new fuel pumps
fuel filters
fuel tank
have good fuel pressure at the rail
and new air filter

Old 06-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: engine lacks power

Check engine light on? A plugged cat should trigger the CEL.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:55 PM

no my sensors are fine just no power if i rev it up slow it revs but if i just punch it it just boggs
the people at napa just said it was my spider what under my plenum sound right? and how would i check that??? and what should my fuel pressure be while pressing the gas??

Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check your fuel pressure. It is possible that it takes a dive when you try to accelerate which may be indicative of a either a fuel filter being clogged or otherwise overly restrictive. If your filter is good, then it may be water in your fuel...

Without a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool... Your options are limited. You could check your pressure after you turn off the key to see if it bleeds down, but that is basically it.

Lets try to tie all of the individual posts together here. You have a host of problems with your truck, that is clear and sounds quite frustrating. But we can not help you without knowing the WHOLE story. Keeping everything in one thread helps us help you to the best of our abilities. However, as this is the internet and we are who knows how far apart, there is only so much we can offer. If you cannot perform the suggested diagnosis/repair, you will have to take your vehicle to a mechanic.

Now, the threads that should be condensed here:
im hitt
fuel pump again
wont turn over

Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM

wont turn over is another problem sorry for not being clear
i also need a starter i banged on my starter and it now runs but now a new problem occured i dont have any power as in i go to pass or spin out and it just boggs i checked my fuel pressure it was 50 psi when i turn my car on, when i turned off the car the pressure slowly went up to 60 what is that about? and with the car running and i hit the gas should the gauge move because it moved maybe 2 psi i would think it would be pushing more fuel the harder u hit the gas and would jump up

thanks

Old 06-29-2008, 02:17 AM

well i have found that i have a steady 50 psi at the rail and that is not enough. That is why my car boggs out on me when i stomp on it. It has enough to idle and start but not to pass or mash the peddle i guess what im woundering is if i should take the 340$ loss from this pump (airtex) i bought at advanced and get and acdelco though chevy or go with another free replacement this is my second pump in 2 months not even 1000 miles i also replace my filters and the tank and wiring i herd it was common

i had put 1/2 tank of v power from shell so gas is good my gauge is not big enough to drive and test the pressure sorry for double post