2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine temp and heat output?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough
Default Engine temp and heat output?

So my heat sucks in my truck and I have done a ton of reading on the situtation and everything is pointing to the tstat. I have warm not hot hoses on both sides of the heater core and the blend door seems to be working fine. I have flushed the entire system several times and replaced the tstat twice in the last year while doing these flushes rather than reusing the old one since they are so cheap. I have also burped the system to ensure there is no air in the system. So my question is what kind of temps are you running in your truck. I have found a couple pics on here but they have all been in C and that just doesn't work for me lol! Here is where mine is running on a 20 or a 65 degree day let me know if it seems low please.

I'm going to replace the tstat again right now and see if that helps any but I'm just curious if this is normal temp.

Attached Thumbnails Engine temp and heat output?-d0de4db7-fc10-4e67-92ef-752d3a460471-15431-00000f32f119e1d2.jpg  

Last edited by rexmburns; 01-24-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Yeah that's pretty low. Mine runs one or two dashes below 210. You , may have a bad , coolant temp sensor/ sender.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Hmm thats a thought but why do I still not have heat I just changed the tstat with a stant superstat and still no difference. Its cold out today but sitting still with no heat on and holding the engine around 1500 rpms should still at least bring the temp up some I would think. I guess I will have to do more reading and see what else I can find and I will be looking into the temp sender as well.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

read it with scan tool to get a number.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

What is it that you want me to read with a scan to and what number is it that I'm suppose to get? I can use a thermometer to pull the temp but other than that I have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I have the digi dash that is not that accurate, but I run half way up the gauge, which is 200.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

With a scan tool you can see what the computer thinks the coolant temp is (based of the sensor). However, like you said, it really doesn't explain the lack of heat, just why your gauge might read off.
It does sound like a tstat issue. Have you back flushed the heater core? Is the radiator the same temp all the way up and down it?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

you can compare the sensor to the coolant temp then decide if the sensors bad. thats why use a scantool to read temp.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I back flushed everything when I did the flushes and have burped it several times. I'm letting it run for a while right now to see if the temp will come up some and I will try to burp it again. The sesnsor should be easy enought to figure out but like you said it still doesn't explain no heat. I touched the metal portion on the top side of the tstat and that is hot and the lines seem to get warmish hot but the heat still sucks.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

how well was the flow thru the heater core?

Quick Reply: Engine temp and heat output?