2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine will crank. but will not start. any help is much appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

^^^exactly what i was thinking lol.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Beginning Member
Zombie is on a distinguished road

I must of read wrong in my Haynes manual. I thought pressure was supposed to be 40 psi. Within like ten mins. it dropped to about 20 psi. Have to change water pump because its leaking from the weep hole. Thank you everybody for the advise. With a new fuel pump, what is my best option in what fuel pump i do get? I want to get the pump with sending unit and everything. Hopefully this fixes my fuel gauge issue always reading wrong. Best option for fuel filter also? Thanks again fella's.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member

Dumb question. But i know i have a 4.3l v6 vortec engine. 95 chevy blazer lt, do u have a MFI system or CMFI system?

Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zombie
Dumb question. But i know i have a 4.3l v6 vortec engine. 95 chevy blazer lt, do u have a MFI system or CMFI system?

Actually it's not a dumb question..... and you have CPI which is a Central Port Injection...... The CPI system uses 1 electronic, batch fired fuel injector feeding 6 individual, pressure actuated poppet nozzles in the intake runner.

As far as PSI it should be about 60-65 at first start and when running no lower than 55 psi....

Then as far as what fuel pump assembly and filter to buy should be to go with AC Delco for both however I had a harder time finding the assembly. Cheapest place I know of is Rockauto.com but they only have the Spectra Premium for the assembly for about $120. after shipping. If you end up purchasing from there here is a discount code: 1567401712837421 place it in "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. It's only extra 5% off but it's something.

Or maybe try checking Ebay for an AC Delco assembly just make sure person has high reputation score.

The assembly will come with the pump, float, wiring and should fix your gauge problem as well.

The only thing I can't get past is the fast falling pressure after testing, which makes me believe there's an internal leak on that spider system. Maybe someone else chime in there and share their opinion or mechanical expertise.

Last edited by cubawashere; 07-15-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member

Replaced the fuel pressure regulator about a yr and a half ago. New fuel tank and fuel filter about 4 months ago. Truck was running fine until i parked it about a month ago to do repairs. I replaced spark plug wires. And put in a k&n air filter. I appreciate all the info im getting fron you guys. Its really helpin alot.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Before you get a fuel pump you might want to make sure its not your injectors leaking

Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Starting Member

Yes I'm leaning towards the spider system myself.....^^^

Originally Posted by cubawashere
The only thing I can't get past is the fast falling pressure after testing, which makes me believe there's an internal leak on that spider system. Maybe someone else chime in there and share their opinion or mechanical expertise.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Beginning Member

How do i test my injectors to see if they are leaking?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Starting Member

Typically, I have always been able to hear them leak if I'm under the hood... I had customer turn key on but not crank and this will activate fuel pump for 2 seconds just enough to get fuel up to the injectors. Then I would hear the "trickles" inside, like on desk waterfall ornament.

Another way to test is to pull off the intake put rags on intake ports on block in truck so that nothing falls in there accidentally -only way to remove fallen objects would be to remove cylinder head. I use couple strips of duct tape myself.

You should be able to see and smell the extra gas lying around in there or can also turn key on -not crank- and pump will fill lines for 2 seconds to show the leak area... WEAR GOGGLES if you decide to go testing this route. Maybe even disconnect ignition spark component like the like coil pack.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you to everyone who replied on my post. Very much appreciated. It was the fuel pump. I even changed out the fuel pump without dropping the gas tank completly. She runs like a top now. Thanks again