General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 PM
curtnastyy is on a distinguished road
Default Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Hey guys im new to this forum, I joined it to ask for some help. I have a 99 2door 2wd gmc jimmy. It looks like this right now, completely stock .

I have recently found a car at my college campus that is just like mine and I think it looks amazing.

I am going to purchase new rims/tires.
I am about to order a 2inch rough country suspension lift with some new shocks, but I'm not completely sure on how to install it!
my buddys all have lifted silverados, so they know how to do the lift kits, but they arent sure if they can install mine because of the springs/coils, and just other little things.
Can ANYONE give me directions on how to install it?
it would be greatly appreciated.

and also on that second picture I posted of the way I want my car to look, I want to buy some fender flares like on that car. Anyone know where I can buy the fender flares? or does anyone know where I can buy a new off road steel bumper?

It would be amazing for someone to get back to me asap!

I get my paycheck on the 20th, and I would like to order the lift after that, but I need instructions.

Please help

thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.-jimmy.jpg   Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.-dream.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

The amount of work all depends on how much you are capable of doing yourself. Its not the kind of thing you want to do in your driveway, and I have read mixed reveiws of that Rough country kit, one negative one around here latley from a dude that was installing one and had problems. You are going to have some drilling and cutting to do. You may need aftermarket parts as well. You wont be able to use the bumper for towing, and cant use tow hooks. Thats just some of the negative notes I read from their website. Body lifts are a fair amount of work as well.

Any lift kit is not going to bolt in on an afternoon unless its the kind of thing you do for work everyday. If you just want the lifted up look, then crank your front Tbars 1.5 and get some 3" shakles for the back. Many of the guys have done just that. It rides closer to stock too, and gives you those steeper hills without hitting the bumpers that you probably want. The kit you want has lower arms, torsion keys (require a tool to remove and install), and rear shackles and 4 shocks. If that kind of dessassembly is up your alley, then go for it, and make a build thread with pictures!

Your silverado buddies have torsion bar fornt ends too. The parts should be very similar. What companies did they get theirs from? Maybe check into that. That way your buds could help install something they are familiar with. If you are gonna seriously bash some trails you are gonna want some heavy duty parts, and that costs more moolah

Anyhting you order is going to come with instructions. I reccomend you have a look through the build threads and Suspention threads and see what owners say about what they have. Theres some good reads. That is pretty much why we gather here afterall

Last edited by ohsofly; 04-14-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 PM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

well lift kits as far as i know are easy for these trucks, but im pretty sure they just dont bolt up n ur good

bodylift is cheap u can get 2inches for like 200 or something like that, and put some 31's under there

rough country is suposta be a good brand, i wouldnt know tho haha, my blazer is stock height

Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Check in the suspension thread, there are a few guys here that have 2 wheel drive trucks with some lift to them.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ohsofly
If you just want the lifted up look, then crank your front Tbars 1.5 and get some 3" shakles for the back. Many of the guys have done just that. It rides closer to stock too, and gives you those steeper hills without hitting the bumpers that you probably want. The kit you want has lower arms, torsion keys (require a tool to remove and install), and rear shackles and 4 shocks. If that kind of dessassembly is up your alley, then go for it, and make a build thread with pictures!

Your silverado buddies have torsion bar fornt ends too. The parts should be very similar. What companies did they get theirs from? Maybe check into that. That way your buds could help install something they are familiar with. If you are gonna seriously bash some trails you are gonna want some heavy duty parts, and that costs more moolah

Anyhting you order is going to come with instructions. I reccomend you have a look through the build threads and Suspention threads and see what owners say about what they have. Theres some good reads. That is pretty much why we gather here afterall
No torsion bar set up on 2wd models.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

What kind of job do you have that one pay check will buy wheels tires fender flares & a lift kit? I'm in the wrong business I guess, not to mention living & college expenses. No res session in your life.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
curtnastyy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
What kind of job do you have that one pay check will buy wheels tires fender flares & a lift kit? I'm in the wrong business I guess, not to mention living & college expenses. No res session in your life.

I cant afford it all in one paycheck. Im going to take it one step at a time. I make about 900$ a month working at a baskin robbins haha