2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Entertainment Center problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
victorf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entertainment Center problem

I have a 2000 blazer with a factory sound system that includes a CD player. We listen to Books-on-CD while traveling. This week, while on a trip, something went wrong with the CD drive and every time you inset a CD the drive immediately spits it back out. On the LCD display is the very informing message "err". Every once in a while the display shows the time for a fraction of a second then reverts to "err". I am able to use and tune the radio, but the error message is ALWAYS present. Has anyone here seen this? Is there anything I can do to clear the problem short of giving my GM dealer a large sum of money?

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

Vic

Old 07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Entertainment Center problem

Error Display (ERR):
If the laser focusing mechanism is impaired by any of the following conditions, ERR will appear on the display when the CD is loaded:
* Moisture
* Dirt
* An upside down CD
* A damaged CD
* An excessively scratched CD
The unit will switch to the radio mode and automatically eject the CD. ERR will remain on the display for 5 seconds , along with the normal display information.
If it does this with any CD, then you may want to pull the deck, remove the outside cover, and blow out the internals with some compressed CO2. Reassemble and see if that helped. If you can get a CD lense cleaner disk to stay inside and play, that would help things. It is possible that something has just gone wrong with either the focusing motor or the tray inside.

If the above doesn't help, you may just want to replace your stock deck with an aftermarket unit rather than fixing the stock peice.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:54 AM
victorf is an unknown quantity at this point

The error message is displayed continuously with NO CD in drive. I will try a general cleaning however. Where might I find an after market replacement?

Any further enlightenment will be appreciated

Vic

Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

www.crutchfield.com is usually useful, or you can go to any of your local places such as Best buy, circuit city. If your only looking for a fairly cheap replacement. I even have a nice cd player made by JVC sitting in my closet that works fine, if you want it for like $75 plus shipping. lol!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
kle717 is an unknown quantity at this point

This just started happening to my 2000 blazer did you ever get it working?