2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Evap IM

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 02:03 AM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road

This is to you Captain thank you for all your help.But tonight with that new code and the evap still not running it got me to thinking of when I took off the complete cold air box and all to get extra room to remove the lower intake to replace the gaskets.And you know it dawned on me tonight the code low censor input that's low air input.When I removed the cold air input box the little exstention
must have fell between the headlight and the front end

Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by johnnylovsey
Ok Lesmyer didn't mean to insult any feelings but I took the advice of trying a different scanner went to ORiley's used there Bosh tester and it said that the evap hasn't run complete with a extra code po102 mass or volume circuit low input.Now I know what and were that is I bought some cleaner for it first.And when I did the manifold gasket I removed that and the complete air box system for extra room when doing the lower intake gaskets and benched it then when finished put in fresh oil and filter and new antifreeze also new air cleaner element. Don't know if that had anything to do with the pending code or if it was just due 100000 miles now.2003 gm blazer l/s 4.3 liter
I know you are intentionally avoiding any thanks to me for getting you back on track and listening to the Captain, but that's OK. I don't have nearly the time invested in your problem that Captain does.

Although I don't know for sure how your fuel injection system responds to a pending P0102, it is certainly not beyond reason that any pending code could prevent your evap test from completing. Fix the P0102 so it is never pending and retry the test. Probably good to get a scanner that will display pending codes.

Good luck!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-08-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Default Continuation Evap system

Ok I am really getting frustrated with this emission controls that make us usually take our cars to the dealer.I did what Captain said took it to another tester a bosh and the result was PO102 Air volume circuit low volume input thought I had it figured out but the plastic exstention was there just couldn't see it.When I got home tried again my tester didn't pick up the code so today cleaned out MAF and also the Intake air temp switch dried it well after cleaning it with the MAF cleaner when I started the car it set a PO113 but I think that will go away as it settles in to being clean but the PO102 cleared itself when I tested it with my tester so I disconnected the wire shortly after it set its PO102 so plugged it in and this morning it wasn't there neither was the po102 code went back to O'Rilleys they said they cant erase codes so they handed me there Bosh went out and tested didn't erase anything but the tester said all codes were gone and evap had run but the INNOVA says it hasn't finished diagnostic,s.Captain can you sujest a decent tester for no more then $300.00 that has not only the codes on the tester screen but the information for repair,s

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 01-10-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

So, we've determined that the Innova is not too reliable, and that it has been leading the way on a wild goose chase.

$300 scanner with DTC troubleshooting ain't gonna happen. Most entry level scan tools will briefly explain what each DTC means. If you're looking for information to troubleshoot each DTC, get a genuine GM shop manual for your exact year and model vehicle, (ebay usually has used ones). Typically they include 2 or 3 volumes, with over 3,000 pages, compared to the 200 or so pages in Chilton/Haynes that halfass cover 4 or 5 model years.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Default Air Box Intake

Captain you would know the answer to this otherwise I need to go to wrecking yards to look for similar cars to get my answer.My 2003 gm blazer,s air box doesn't come up and through the front end sheet metal behind the head light like it looks like it should.Its just below the hole in the sheet metal and back in the engine department so my question is would that make the MAF have low input or would it make any difference.And if it would I should get some venting material and extend it to behind the head light and see if that helps the evap run it's diagnostic.This may all have started when I did the lower intake manifold gaskets maybe there was something below the box or the piece of plastic with two rubber dowels that is lose on the drivers side maybe it broke at some time or when I removed the air box to do the intake.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There is a separate black plastic piece that connects to the air box and kinda jogs to line up with the hole in the radiator core support. The piece is only ~5" long. I can guarantee you that it has nothing to do with the monitor, or the MAF sensor.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:14 PM

Thanks Captain I didn't think it would change anything but I thought I may have broke it when I did the intake.You know the INNOVA I have the 3150 only gives you codes and shut,s off the mil if you want to know what might cause the light to go on or what a code could mean you have to join there little club and pay $9.95 per code. That's why I have purchased the Actron CP9680 Auto Scanner Pro. When the light is turned on giving you a code it also gives a possible reason or reasons for the code all In the hand held unit its internet update-able.I believe it also has real time electrical reading and real time record like when the mil is turned on.So you can go back and check the conditions as to why the mil was turned on in the first place.I am not positive but I think the answer to the code is a on line cost feature just like the innova it cost 9.95 every time you called in for a code reason I am sure they all cost now that is what makes them in the business of making the code readers they couldn't possibility give you help for free that's not why the make them now I am not to sure I needed another code reader except the INNOVA didn't even recognize the code PO113 or PO102.P/S thanks again Captain for your help and thanks for the honest answers without a cost behind it. That's rare now a days.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 01-10-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:46 PM

Captain one last question for now does the car,s computer use the wheel censors to calculate the drive cycle.the reason I ask is in a shop they put it on a dyno so only the rear wheels are moving but does the computer get its information from things like throttle control rpm,s so on does it even know if the car is moving if the throttle control is correct and the rpm,s are what there supposed to be does it even care if the car is moving.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Default OK Captain

You did say ebay and for gm service or repair and can I get one just for my blazer or a number of blazers.I couldn't find just gm repair manuals they kept promoting Hane's and Chilton's but not gm.But I have been on the commuter for hours trying to get some answers because I would enjoy repairing it myself and not paying a shop for what I should be able to figure out.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:38 AM

Captain I will get a repair manual gm when I can find one I need to be able to learn more about what it is I am working on.But I keep kicking around thoughts of when I did the intake gaskets.There was one line that gave me trouble in trying to disconnect it.that was the evap control purge valve and the part I had trouble with was the connector from I believe came from the throttle body and hooks up at the purge valve.I remember because it had a white clip that connected at the purge valve and it needed to be squeezed on both sides but it just wouldn't disconnect and I took a pic tool and lifted it carefully but still broke one side of it and I thought it still clicked on as it was pushed on.And the other part of that valve as I told you I replaced the o ring and the air hiss stooped.But what if the line wasn't connecting correctly at the purge valve tomorrow I will try to hit it with soapy water in a spray bottle.But could the venture leak at the purge valve and not set a code would that cause the evap not to finish its diagnostics and that if I remember rite a hard line not a soft vacuum.And last question on this do you think they sell just that clip since everything is still in tack. Thanks again Captain without your help I would have never got very far at all, I sure do appreciate it.Oh by the way Captain I did a vacuum reading on my blazer and it was 17 out of a possible 23 not that it matters.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 01-12-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Evap IM