2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

The Ever Dreaded P0420

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member
Cinnamon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down The Ever Dreaded P0420

Hi all, I caught the P0420 Flu. I've been doing my homework and I don't know how to fix this.
The three main symptoms, I don't have them:
1. Sulfur/Eggy Smell. My exhaust smells like an exhaust.
2. Loss of power/response. I press the pedal, car goes VRROOOOMMMMMM
3. Rattling Exhaust/Cat. Converter. Nothing really rattles, everything sounds like it should.

Although, I will say that there is water? coming from my exhaust whenever I put the pedal down. Could that throw a P0420?
I was planning on running some Sea Foam through the cat, as seen in this video:

Before I do this though, I'm gonna get under the car and make sure the O2 Sensors are all tightened/in good condition. I did have a P0147 in which I fixed by replacing the O2 Sensor for that code.
Anyone else have any solutions or a way for me to get to the Tootsie Roll Center of this Tootsie Pop of a problem code?

Old 02-17-2020, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Most likely issues:

O2 sensor failure or connector/wiring issues
Faulty ECT sensor
Exhaust leak
Cat failure
Timing/ignition issues/misfires
Rich fuel mixture

If you have cat failure you need to determine and correct the root cause. A few methods of testing the cat:

Measure back pressure at an O2 sensor port in front of the cat.
Measure the temps in front of and behind the cat
Tap the cat and see if it rattles
Watch the O2/air fuel sensors in live data

George

Old 02-17-2020, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Timing/ignition issues/misfires
Say, my car does have trouble starting up. Like, it'll start up on the first key turn but it'll lag a little. If that makes sense
It'll go drdrdrdrdrdrdr-VROOOOMMMM.... rather than starting up all the way.

Recently I brought the battery back to life, could that be something that could cause a P0420? I haven't charged the battery all the way, just enough to get it to come back to life.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:13 PM
BF Veteran

Having a healthy battery, charged properly is fundamental to many of the trucks systems. This should be straightened out first. IDK if low voltage can cause this code.

George

Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 PM
Beginning Member

Right, next time I have the cash to do so, I'll invest in a good battery tender.
Hopefully that's the issue here, trying to start with the least expensive fixes.

But it still begs the question about the water. I looked it up and saw if white smoke comes out, it could be a damaged head gasket.
Its not a laarrge amount of water but I think that I'll let it run for awhile and see if water keeps dripping out before ruling out the gaskets.

Feeling like Sherlock Holmes with this damn Blazer now.

Source for Water Thing: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...g-from-exhaust

Old 02-18-2020, 07:36 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Quite normal to get drips of water out of the exhaust pipe for several minutes after first starting due to condensation within the exhaust system, especially when air temps are cold.
So yeah, let it run for a good five minutes and then check. Also you could remove the radiator cap prior to starting engine and then with engine running look into radiator, check for air bubbles.
And another prior to starting engine, pull oil dipstick and check to see if coolant in the oil. Also check after engine has run, see if dipstick has "chocolate milk" on the end.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 AM
BF Veteran

Inexpensive places to start:

Is the fluid level dropping in coolant system?

what do the plugs look like?

if you have a scanner, looking at the O2 sensors in live data

tapping on the cat to check for loose pieces

checking the ECT sensor.

if you have an infrared thermometer, checking the cat input and output temps

checking compression

as mentioned, the condition of the oil, bubbles in the radiator

George

Old 02-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cinnamon
Hi all, I caught the P0420 Flu. I've been doing my homework and I don't know how to fix this.
A couple questions Cinnamon:

A) Does the truck drive ok once you get it going?

B) Do you have the time/money to fix this properly, and to go through all the diagnostics (lol even the incredibly unlikely/ridiculous ones that were previously mentioned)?

Or...

C) Do you just want the light to go away and be happy, because IMO most likely your catalyst is fried from the dead misfire you had back in July?

Last edited by Billy1820; 02-18-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:17 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Please don't run Seafoam through it. Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter specifically about damage and diagnosis. Are the people in the video counting on the extremely high converter temps that adding a lot of hydrocarbons (like seafoam) would provide, in order to clean off the catalyst surfaces? Sounds like a really good way to turn your converter into a Chernobyl disaster.

Beware of the easy fixes on the Internet - most are BS.

The guy in the video is not the sharpest tool in the shed. If you read his responses to his comments he speaks of using the "hole" can of Seafoam.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-18-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:49 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Billy1820
Do you have the time/money to fix this properly, and to go through all the diagnostics (lol even the incredibly unlikely/ridiculous ones that were previously mentioned)?
Honestly, George has helped a lot of people here. If you disagree you should do it in a much nicer way. Don't confuse your opinions as always being fact.

Quick Reply: The Ever Dreaded P0420