2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Faulty 4x4 switch? (update)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:43 PM
devestator_x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Faulty 4x4 switch? (update)

Here's my deal. My '97 has the electronic dash switch for 4wd. Last year, it did alot of flashing, but not alot of actual switching, and on occasion would not do anything at all, especially not switch out of 4hi.

Now, this winter, it will not do anything ever. It was working quite fine. 2wd is lit up, but a press of 4hi or 4lo brings no flashing lights, no clicking sounds, no response at all. My wife put it best, "I may as well be pushing on the dashboard, because that doesnt do anything either"

Snow in N.H. is here and not having 4wd is really putting a hamper on commuting. Luckly we just bought 4 new tires last week, but going up hill sideways is not my idea of a good time. I have a new switch on order from the dealer, but they havent gotten it in yet. Just wondering if this is the culpret. I would think if the encoder motor was gone, it would still flash and go back to 2wd (like it did last year)

The biggest problem is that the truck spent3 years in Florida with my mom, who never once used 4wd while she had it down there.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Faulty 4x4 switch?

i have the smae problem every once in a while the light will just flash its the most annoying and irrating thing, but somedays it works like new, i persoanlly dont know wats wrong with mine but its proble same as yours only yours is worse, o and wat part of nh? i live here to

Old 12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

first off, check the fuse. when the switch goes bad, it will start blowing fuses. a fix in a pinch if it is blowing the fuse, is just take a loop or wire and put it in place of the fuse. (ONLY FOR TEMPORARY USE) in case of emergency.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would use the next higher amperage fuse over a wire... If it's a 15amp fuse, use a 20amp fuse, but again this is only temporary.

If the switch is not responding, try pulling it out of the dash, removing the electrical plug, and reconnecting it. We have seen some problems be caused by a loose electrical connection at the back of the switch. It is possible that the switch itself has an internal fault. If you do not have the Auto4wd option (you'd know if you did), you can go through the diagnostics found in the DIY article, OBD2 Non-Automatic Transfer Case Diagnostics.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Ok, thanks for the tips. I wouldhave thoughtthat a bad fuse would result in no lights lit up, but 2wd is luminated. I have unhooked, and re-hooked the switch numerous times (to work on my fog light switch and stereo, its easier to pull the whole trim bezel off rather than fight the headlight wire harness) So perhaps that connection has gone bad due to repeated disconnects.

I donot have the auto 4wd option (I saw two ofTHOSE switches at the junk yard in the 25 trucks I searched)

BTW Im in Jaffrey, NH to Tippman. This past storm has not been fun driving in in 2wd, thank god I rid of those bald BFG AT's just in time or I would not be going anywhere.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 PM

Ok got the new switch installed, checked the fuse, still got no response from the swtich. 2WD is lit up, but no attempt to switch modes. Not even 4lo. I am going to throw a jumper on it this weekend and try to pull some codes. Im hoping it isnt something expensive like the Xfer ECU or the Encoder Motor.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
SD40T2 is an unknown quantity at this point

check the wiring going to the transfer case, our '00 had a pigtail that went bad it had the same symtems that you have, dealer replased under warrenty no problems since.Hope this helps.