2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

First post, help with 1999 Blazer (A/C problem)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Beginning Member
RomanCatholic is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Sounds like the actuator is bad. Typically, the drive gear breaks and does not turn the door.
How difficult is that to replace?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It can be quite a challenge due to the space constraints of trying to replace it with the rest of the dash intact. It is located on the top of the HVAC housing and accessible by dropping the glove box door all the way down. A small screwdriver bit type ratchet with a phillips bit will make the job easier. Use a mechanics mirror to gauge where the screws are.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Beginning Member
crasy is on a distinguished road

ok i got the actuator out of there. took it apart and the biggest gear in the box had a chip in it. but the chip wasnt all the way from the middle to the outside of the gear, it originated towards the inside of the gear. is this my problem?
and thanks for all the help so far! i feel like im making progress

Old 08-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly. Can you take a picture?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Beginning Member

sorry for the bad quality had to take the pics with cell phone.
the crack begins in the middle from the metal peice, and extends outwards to almost where the ridge is on the outside of the gear.

Attached Thumbnails First post, help with 1999 Blazer (A/C problem)-ac1.jpg   First post, help with 1999 Blazer (A/C problem)-ac2.jpg  

Last edited by crasy; 08-04-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Beginning Member

I ordered a new actuator from autozone, should be in tomorrow or the day after. RomanCatholic have you had any luck fixing yours?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Beginning Member

Installed new actuator and it didnt seem to fix the problem. Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by crasy
Installed new actuator and it didnt seem to fix the problem. Anyone have any other ideas?

Sorry I haven't posted, working overtime. I have not worked on it, waiting to see if it fixed your problem. Sorry it didn't. A friend at work had the same problem with her Blazer and ended up selling it b/c they couldn't fix it. What are you going to try next?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Beginning Member

I took it in to local mechanic and he evacced system and then recharged. He said he took everything apart and couldnt find any leaks or anything. But now its fixed, so i have no clue. Ive been told maybe air got in the system or something. Did you take apart your actuator to see if the big gear was cracked?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by crasy
I took it in to local mechanic and he evacced system and then recharged. He said he took everything apart and couldnt find any leaks or anything. But now its fixed, so i have no clue. Ive been told maybe air got in the system or something. Did you take apart your actuator to see if the big gear was cracked?

How much did that cost? I just had my A/C charged in April. He did say there was a small leak, but he patched it. I didn't have any problems until my battery died and the miracle mechanic worked on it. Since then it hasn't worked correctly.

Quick Reply: First post, help with 1999 Blazer (A/C problem)