2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fixed fule pump, Now P0101.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Vermilion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fixed fule pump, Now P0101.....

Now I'm getting a P0101, P0101pd, and P0174pd. Could this be a Mass air?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start out by cleaning the MAF sensor.

P0101 - Mass Air Flow System Performance
P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

Check out the diagnostic sheets above and go through them as much as possible. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM

I was gonna clean it at work today, but I got sick. Don’t have any contact cleaner at home. What about something like simple green, and warm water? I just don’t wanna bugger up anything if it is on the fritz. I found a site braking down the MAS, and it had a quick test of using a Fluke -on black, and + on com. and measure the V's and look for fluctuation as you tap on it. Well I got a .1 volt drop. Would that be enough? (I really hate learning on the fly! LOL But only way I can with my ADD)

Oh yea, I also got a new code today to, and it drives ruff on acceleration. (P0452, P0101, P0101pd) I wanna love this truck, but she is KILLIN me! (That’s my Wife’s job) LOL Anyway, like always thanks for any, and all help! You are a little peace of mined when dealing with this D@MN truck!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The output from the MAF sensor is not a voltage directly, but rather, a square wave frequency output. If your DMM can read frequency, that is how you want to view it. With the engine running, see if the frequency output skips when you tap the MAF sensor.

Also, the P0101 code seems to center around there being a difference between the MAF reading and the calculated MAF value which is based on the MAP sensor output and the engine RPM. A malfunctioning MAP sensor can contribute to this.

P0452 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input

Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM

Is there anything you don’t know! LOL Well I finally got to cleaning the MAF, with contact cleaner from work. And I'll be d@med! The truck runs much better. Still a little flaky once I am close to home, about 20 miles. But still ALOT better than it was. I'm not sure if my meter can read frequency, I could barrow my scope from work, just a little bulky. Since it is running better (for now), and I don’t get the codes, should I still go through the steps you gave me?

Thanks for all you have done for me, and all you do for this community! This is a great help to all of us!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Administrator

See how things go.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:52 PM

My Fluke dose read Hz. But I just have to tap into the harness, I figure tomorrow I can make one at work. We carry AMP pins, so I have to make a brake out. My new problem only shows itself half way home in the afternoon when it is warmer out? Doesn’t do it in the morning, still cooler out? So I'm gonna make a brake out run a small two lead shielded wire harness through to the cabin, and hook my fluke up and monitor from there.

Like I said it only dose it in the afternoon, and everything runs great at first, but 1/2 way home it slowly gets worse. I’ll accelerate, and then it's like the bottom drops out of the acceleration. And then it gets to the point were even maintaining a cursing speed is hard to maintain. Once it starts that accelerating results in loss of power, and a very, very slow build up?

I cant pinpoint a specific thing I do in the driving that causes it? Again as always thanks for any direction. Also feel free to tell me to pound sand and just take it in, and have someone look at it. Like my Wife is doing. just hate not being able to figure this out.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

P0101 is indeed a mass air sensor code and P0174 is telling you that the engine is running to lean. The two could be related or completely separate issues.

More often then not when you get these two codes together it means that your sensor is just dirty and you can get away with just cleaning it rather then replacing it.

Remove the sensor and spray it down with MAF cleaner that can be found in many auto stores. If you can't find MAF cleaner, electric motor cleaner will work. Brake cleaners and carb/intake cleaners are not recommended as these can damage the sensor. Be sure not to touch any electrodes in the sensor. They can be very fragile and are easily damaged.

After cleaning reinstall and clear the codes and give it a test run. If the MAF code shows back up then you will need to replace the sensor. If the MAF code dissapears but the lean code stays then it is likely something else such as a bad O2 sensor or a vacume leak causing it.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Since I cleaned the MAF a few days ago I haven’t had any Codes. But now I have this new problem with hesitation when I accelerate, and it only happens in the afternoon? Not really sure on what it might be. Just need to try and test what I can, and figure it out. This thing is REALLY working my nerves!!!! LOL

Old 05-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member
02LS64dr is on a distinguished road

im having the same problem, getting codes p0101 and p0452, currently broke down on the highway