2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front driver Side engine leak please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Jfarra is on a distinguished road
Default Front driver Side engine leak please help

Hello I have a 02 blazer with a 4.3L vortec engine. Over the past few days I have noticed a small puddle of what I believe to be oil under the front driver side of the vehicle up by the radiator. The oil is very light brown and dosnt Seam to be as dark as the oil in the engine. I have also checked the fluids and they don't seam to be dropping any except I had to add a little brake fluid but it wasn't that low. My question is were could this be leaking from and is it something that needs immediate attention? Any help will be a big help thank you.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

2WD or 4WD?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Well this could be good or bad, but there is a number of places to look on your driver side there are oil cooler lines that run from the radiator back to the motor actually right above the oil filter. Their is a service and return line so since its a small amount. I would guess it is the return line leaking and just from what I saw in the one I scraped from my truck it also could be your radiator. When I cut the plastic part off my old radiator there was just a glob of Im guessing old oil just stuck at the bottom of the radiator. But anyway this oil coolier is not even nessasary some will tell you, and they do make covers and plugs to do away with the system, or just fix the leak.YOUR CHOICE

Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Sorry for the lack of info it is 2WD auto

Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jfarra
Hello I have a 02 blazer with a 4.3L vortec engine. Over the past few days I have noticed a small puddle of what I believe to be oil under the front driver side of the vehicle up by the radiator. The oil is very light brown and dosnt Seam to be as dark as the oil in the engine. I have also checked the fluids and they don't seam to be dropping any except I had to add a little brake fluid but it wasn't that low. My question is were could this be leaking from and is it something that needs immediate attention? Any help will be a big help thank you.
Open your radiator and take some coolant out and put it right next to that puddle.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

get some engine cleaner and wipe down the area of the engine that seems to be above the leak. then look for fresh fluids on engine or frame. that might give you an idea where to start.
also try poking around while the engine is warm and running....be careful not to get any part of yourself near the engine....you might be able to see some seepage.

just some ideas/what i normally do when hunting for a leak. also what is a "small" puddle? size of a quarter? just wondering.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
get some engine cleaner and wipe down the area of the engine that seems to be above the leak. then look for fresh fluids on engine or frame. that might give you an idea where to start.
also try poking around while the engine is warm and running....be careful not to get any part of yourself near the engine....you might be able to see some seepage.

just some ideas/what i normally do when hunting for a leak. also what is a "small" puddle? size of a quarter? just wondering.
Ok I guess thats my next step then. It to oily to be coolant but not thick enough to be oil and doesn't smell like oil. Also I have a clear line of sight to the oil cooling lines ad it doesn't sem to be coming from them but above them. The weird thing is I have been checking my fluids regularly and they don't seam to be dropping any. Do you think this leak needs immediate attention or could I wait a few weeks to get it into a shop?

And the puddle gets about 1 to 2 inches wide during a 8 hour period parked at work

Last edited by rriddle3; 11-12-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 PM
blazerls1999 is on a distinguished road

Could be a power steering hose, pump, steering box. They are all on that side as well as a p/s cooler mounted on the front of the rad support.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Beginning Member
swedp is on a distinguished road

just for the record,on my ´99 2wd the plastic ring holding the spring for the oilcooler tubes for trans just loosend and the fluid just pumped out with following no power in trans,i replaced snap spring pured new oil in and everything working again,but you might have problem with engine oilcoller lines and they can leak at the crimpjoint at rubberhose,about the color ,might be water inwolved at radiatorjoint