2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front end...ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 AM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front end...ball joints?

OK, so my 2000 2dr has a bizarre periodic wear/vibration sound (meaning a cycling sound with a frequency that increases with speed). Seems to be coming from the front passenger side. If I turn left the sound doesn't get any worse. If I turn right, it seems to get slightly better. I really could have sworn I had a bearing going out. Sound doesn't get any worse or any better when I'm pulling my boat, so I'm 99% it's a front end issue. Again, sounds like a repeating/periodic wear noise.

I jacked up the front end to play with the wheels to help diagnose the problem. Both front tires have play side to side (3 o'clock to 9 o'clock). I also checked up and down play (12:00 - 6:00) and didn't have any play at all. The side to side play happened whether I jacked on the frame or suspension. No matter what, no play top to bottom.

So, I know for a fact that I've got to replace my ball joints. I thought top-bottom play indicated bearing/hub issues. But a quick inspection only had ball joint issues. So, based on sound alone, I think I have a hub/bearing issue. But based on my reading here, I only have ball joint problems.

My question is this. Do bad ball joints sound like a bad bearing? Or should I look at new front hubs the same time I'm replacing the ball joints?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ball joints

I`ve only ever heard a ball joint make a clunk noise, or just break... when it breaks you`ll know..try this with the checking wheel for play.. jack up the truck from the ctrl arm where the shock is mounted underneath get the wheel just off the ground about an inch or so.. grab the wheel at at like 7or 8 and then at 1 or 2 shake the wheel that way... back and forth, thats how i found that my ball joints are bad, I have new Moog ball joints that i had to order i` still have to put them in..dont buy cheap ball joints you`ll be sorry ya did in the long run...

Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the hub assembly (wheel bearing) to me. Especially since the noise get better when you turn one direction.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:55 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah the hub assembly would be my guess i had to replace one on my truck its pretty easy to do. good luck with it.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 PM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I figured it would be the hub. Any preferences on brand? I've heard Timken is good.

As for the ball joints. I'm going to have to do a more thorough inspection, but since I can wiggle my tires left and right a little bit, but not up and down, I'm thinking it may be my tie rod ends. I'm beginning to think I should just take it to a shop for an inspection. I've got one local that I really trust. I'm willing to do the work myself, but I'm not really sure about diagnosing the ball joints vs tie rod ends. With bad ball joints, can you typically move the wheel by hand, or do you have to use something for leverage to get enough movement to notice anything loose with the ball joints?

Edit following some research....
So the more I read the more it seems to me that bad ball joints are indicated by the ability to wiggle the wheels in the up/down (pushing and pulling at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions) direction. I haven't been able to get any wiggle out of them in this direction, whether I'm jacking on the frame or the lower control arm. How much play horizontally (pushing and pulling at 3:00 and 9:00) is typical? Without knowing any better, I'm guessing I have too much play in this direction. So now I'm starting to think I'm on to something with the steering components; tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm. Thoughts?

Last edited by lombard; 04-13-2009 at 09:35 PM.