2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front end problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:37 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

My bearings & seals haven't arrived from RockAuto yet but when they do I will let you know how the job went & try to post a few pictures as well..

Old 09-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by blazerbagpipes
Hey dave turns out my rear drivshaft u joOINTS Were cracked causing all the problems i had. Now (after replacment) everything is perfect i dont think i will have to touch the front driveshaft yet, but i will eventually, ill keep you posted. thanks :m )
Glad you got your problem sorted blazerbagpipes. Isn't it satisfying when you drive the vehicle afterwards & things are so much smoother. When I did the CV on my front propeller shaft a while back it felt like a totally different truck afterwards.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:29 AM
Beginning Member
blazerbagpipes is on a distinguished road

yes it is a great feeling im just about done with the things to do on the Blazer cheer!!

Old 09-03-2015, 05:43 AM
Starting Member
BlazedByU is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DaveHearne
Right - another update. Having spent the last hour or so searching this forum for similar problems to mine I have concluded that I hopefully can replace this bearing with the front differential still in the vehicle.
Incidentally, I found the bearings & seals are the same for the left & right side so have ordered 2 of each, figured if the left one is that badly worn then I may as well do the right side too while i'm at it.
So - went onto the Nalley GMC website & found the right diagram with the bearings & oil seals I need but they wanted to rape me big time for shipping to the UK. So I then cross-matched the part numbers to RockAuto (who's shipping is much cheaper & have just ordered them. Just under £20 ($29-28) including shipping to the UK which i'm more than happy about.

I am just hoping that all the wobbling around hasn't damaged the inner CV joint where it rides on the bearing or i'm gonna end up ordering one of those as well. It doesn't seem to have done as far as I can see.

Will update again once the parts make their way to me across the atlantic.

That's good thinking, replacing both sides, as you are right, if one is going bad, the chance of the other side going bad too is pretty good too. I was going to mention the rubber rag joint in the steering shaft at the steering box, especially if you feel like the steering is sloppy at all, they are known for breaking, especially on 4x4's. But, the bearings is more than likely the cause from what you're saying it's doing. Check the CV boots really well for cracks or grease that has been thrown out of the CV boots.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Starting Member

Bearings & seals arrived from RockAuto today. My next day off work is Friday so gonna get the job done then.
Will update when the job is done - wish me luck guys!

Old 09-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Starting Member

Well - got up nice & early this morning to start the job of replacing the front axle outer bearings & seals. Been dreading it to be honest but turned out to be a fairly easy job, albeit a little time consuming.
All in all I reckon both sides took me around 5 hours, I thought the drivers side (remember mine is right hand drive) would be a bit more difficult but when I knocked out the cv axle the whole internal shaft came out of the extension tube which contains the mechanism to engage 4wd (apparently this isn't meant to happen) so this actually helped me gain easy access to the seal & bearing on that side.
The knocking sound I had at the front is now completely gone so I am one very pleased person.
Gotta say the little £16 internal puller I bought myself to get the bearings out made the job possible, apart from making up some kinda slide hammer I don't think they would have come out without damaging something in the process. Have attached a little pic of one of the bearings on the puller after taking it out.
Hopefully my front end will stay quiet for a while now?

Attached Thumbnails Front end problem-wp_20150911_13_53_46_pro.jpg  

Last edited by DaveHearne; 09-11-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Correct spelling mistakes