2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front End:Sqeaking and creaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
gio17vani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Front End:Sqeaking and creaking

Having the same problem. Makes the noise even if you rock the car forwards and backwards or even turning the wheel all the way when parked. I bought the can of lubricant but a little unsure of where to attack. I also hate that people can hear me coming a block away and it's getting embarrassing. I sprayed all the joints and damn near anything rubber I could see on both sides and it didn't help. Are the bushings hard to get at? Do I need to use a screwdriver to lift them up and work the lube in? Sorry but I'm a noob when it comes to bushings and only know the sound is so loud that I have trouble narrowing it down.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 PM

used silicone spray and then lithium grease on all the bushings and mounts. The joints look to have been greased already at least the uppers as I can see the red grease blobs vs the old black grease still in the lowers. Could it be my lower ball joints? Sound seems like it is right by the bottom of shock or frame near the wheel. The grease had no effect and I even rotated the bolts on both control arm bushings to get the grease worked in there good.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
lemon blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

As soon asI applied the grease to the fittings on the front lowers the sound wentaway.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Probem solved. Greased the upper and lower ball joints and voila....no more squeak. Lesson learned that even though the joints looked like they had been greased, new red grease coming out top of zerks on both joints, doesn't mean they were or done correctly. The genious technician, most likely a kid, either didn't use a flex hose or didn't tighten the nozzle all the way so that grease came out immediately instead of filling the joints. This of course would have been found if I would have looked closer and/or felt to see if it was full so I'm partly to blame as well.

Thanks everyone for this thread, tips, suggestions since this problem was frustrating enough even with help but would have driven me insane or worse yet to pay an expensive sum to have a pro figure it out when it turned out to be an easy fix.