2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:53 AM
matt4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Front Rotors

I was at the junk yard today pulling a front left caliper, FL bracket and 2 sets of FL pads. Going back tomorrow for Front Right pads that match the ones I just got today. I bought a digital measuring instrument, and I am wondering how I can use it to see if the rotors are good, or do I need a micrometer?

My safety inspection noted a possible siezed caliper. While braking the vehicle tends to go to the left. It also noted I need a new front left brake hose.

I am headed their tomorrow determined to get the other good thick pads, and the front left brake hose line. Probably return the thinner set of pads, I just wanted to see if the 2000 pads are the same as the 1998 Blazer/Jimmy pads.

Then I am going to have to eyeball the parking brake cable, I assume theres one central inner cable, that splits into 2 for rear left and rear right.

Then its off to the shop for pitman and idler arm replacement.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll need a vernier caliper or a micrometer to measure the rotors. New rotors are cheap for these things, have you checked with a parts store?

If the vehicle pulls left while braking, the left one is working. The problem is on the right side. Brakes don't work better when there's a problem

Old 12-28-2014, 06:07 AM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Calipers and rotors a very inexpensive. Why would you ever go to a junk yard to buy those parts. There is no guarantee that they are any better than what you have and could be even more dangerous than your current situation. The thickness of the pads will be determined by the brake system that is on your vehicle. just because one pad may be thicker than another set does not mean they will fit your vehicle. Also measuring the rotors will not tell you if they are warped either. They are in a junk yard for a reason.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:28 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

You could get all these parts from rockauto.com for right around 100.00 order em today and you`ll have midweek

Old 12-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

what these guys said...

Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

x2 on the problem being the right rotor. In the past I could change lanes with a quick tap on the brakes when I had a stuck caliper.

You will need to mesure the full rotor surface to make sure it falls within spec even at the deepest groove. Most likely you are not getting a set that is worn out but still never hurts to check.
I picked up 2 front 4wd rotors for under $50 at the local parts store. They were the cheapest they had but are more than enough for what I'm using them for.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

There's a lot of stuff I'll get at a junkyard, but pads/rotors ain't one of them! Probably they're fine, but with brakes, it's better to get new. Heck, I won't even turn rotors. Just buy new if they get too bad.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Nowadays it costs more to turn 'em than it does to buy new ones!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 AM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

When I rebuilt my front end I did a brake job at the same time. I nabbed a set of front rotors from a junk yard for $10 and had them turned for free by a buddy at a local shop came out basically brand new. I DID however put new pads on it lol no way I'd install used brake pads...

Old 12-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Beginning Member
Capt. Craig is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Nowadays it costs more to turn 'em than it does to buy new ones!
That's the truth! I use to turn all my rotors but my local parts store stopped turning because of the price of new rotors.

Quick Reply: Front Rotors