2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front Shock problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
ecj351m is on a distinguished road
Default Front Shock problems!

I just bought new Stock Gabriel shocks, they have been on a couple of weeks now. I then noticed a clunking noise in the front. Upon further investigating i noticed on the passenger side shock that the bottom part (where the bushing is pressed into the shock) that the bushing was separated from the shock. This is the 2nd time this has happened any ideas or suggestions? PLEASE HELP!!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How much did you tighten down on the shock retaining bolt?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:24 PM

As tight as i could by hand

Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How sloppy was the bushing to start with?

What did you do with it after the 1st time?

Sounds to me like you have a defective bushing.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:35 PM

the first set of shocks i was able to pull the bushing out by hand. i went and bought new shocks thinking that the old ones were just old, i didn't know if there was something missing or if using washers would work.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator

If you can get a washer in there that is large enough to clear the sleeve that should be inside the bushing, it may put more compression onto the bushing to tighten it up in the shock loop.