2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel filter quick connect stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 07:55 PM
Starting Member
ferret13sj is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel filter quick connect stuck!

2000 Jimmy, fuel filter change has become a nightmare. The filter is completely rusted, so I'm afraid it's the one I had put on 10 years ago with new fuel pump. So I fought with the rear connector for days. Had been previously bunged up by old mechanic plus it's very rusty. Finally got it loosened after buying the vise grips that someone posted, with the 3 sided grip, by holding 16mm nut and twisting the filter. I noticed the front line is stuck at the quick connect, as in it twists as I turn the filter. So I go to take that loose first and cannot get it off. One quick release tab is pushed in and stuck that way. The other tab, when I push on it, the plastic catch that actually holds the line on (in the window of black plastic fitting) is not depressing with the tab. I even tried pushing directly on it with tip of screwdriver and there is no give at all. So I'm guessing there's rust build up or dirt under it. Probably rust since the connector won't twist at all. So short of destroying the whole connector and replacing that piece of line, any ideas? Help!

Last edited by ferret13sj; 06-21-2022 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit post too soon
Old 06-22-2022, 11:07 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I at first wanted to post just to commiserate with you. I hate doing that job.

But then I realized that I have a scan from my 1999 GM service manual that just maybe might help. I'm attaching it. The part you'll want to look at is the one about the plastic quick dis-connect fitting. However, it sound like you have tried most everything. But perhaps it'll give you an idea of what to try next short of cutting it off.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Eng. Fuel Filter Replace_o.pdf (1.73 MB, 33 views)
Old 06-22-2022, 03:11 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the diagram. I have tried to twist the connection but am unable to. There's just no wiggle room to get a really good grip. Torsion bar is in the way of eveything...I can see how this would all be easier on a 2wd! Did I also mention that the mechanic ran my new brake line straight across the bolt head for the filter bracket? Instead of bending it to go above bracket? So no room to get a socket on that bolt. I wonder if releasing the other quick connects nearby would give me more room to work (if they release lol).

What I'm in the process of doing is picking away at the white catch that won't depress, to get that edge off that's holding the connector in place. 🤞

Old 06-22-2022, 05:46 PM
Starting Member

Well I picked enough of the catch edge off to finally coax the quick connect loose. Getting it back on was a pain as well but it's done. Still same starting issue but at least it has a new fuel filter 🤣.