2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Guage Spins, Points Down!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:54 PM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Guage Spins, Points Down!!!

My gas guage took a dump yesterday. When I accelerate from a stop the needle makes a very quick clockwise revolution and hits the battery guage needle!!! Then the needle pretty much sticks at the 7 oclock position. Is it possible to take the dash apart and fix the guage??

Old 01-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What year is the vehicle?

If there is an open circuit in the level sender or its circuits, the gauge will indicate past full. Problem could be in the cluster, but not likely. If it changes when you accelerate, fuel sloshes in the tank and it could be causing an open circuit in the level sender. Might want to check wiring, sender ground, and purple signal wire for open circuits.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Starting Member

1996, I think my gauge is about 120 degrees off!

Last edited by chcknugget; 01-26-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

1996 does not have a BCM, so that will save you some diagnostic time. Might want to start at the level sender and work your way forward from there.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:20 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Have you diconnected the battery lately, this sometimes happens to my truck and will fix itself

Old 01-28-2015, 05:44 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Yes the gauge cluster can be removed; not difficult to do.

As stated above check the wiring at the fuel sender first as not common for gauges to fail, but this is far beyond the normal needle travel. Disconnect the fuel sender and see what the gauge needle does.

I think there are three wires going to the fuel sender: +12V, chassic ground, sender output....find a wiring diagram to be sure. Get a multi meter (voltage, resistance), measure voltage at connector - vehicle side. Measure resistance at connector on fuel pump side. Have someone bounce rear of vehicle while measuring resistance to see what happens.
Suspect fuel level sender has taken a "dump."

To get the gauge cluser out requires removing the lower trim panel under the steering column first.
Next, lower the steering column by turning the two large bolts to the end of their travel, but do not remove them. Just let the column go down a bit.
Next is the large trim panel that goes around the gauges, light swith, radio, HVAC. Will have to disconnect the electrical connectors on the light switch, etc.
Now the four gauge cluster screws and its electrical connector and out comes the gauge cluster.
The plastic lens comes off....but if memory is somewhat correct, there are two screws and two plastic tabs. Careful here.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Starting Member

My sender has definitely been acting up over the past few months... The needle would jump all over the place when the tank was half full! I have a new AC Delco fuel pump on order- only $166 on amazon. I will replace the pump, check the wiring. Hopefully I won't have to take the dash apart!!!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:44 PM

You can replace just the level sender without replacing the entire module. Available at the dealer only though.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Starting Member

I think there's an airtex pump in there but not sure. If i'm taking it apart id rather just replace the whole thing! Though I'm thinking of just cutting a hole in the floor for ease of access!

Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM

If it's got an Airtex pump, the odds just increased that the sender is the cause of the problem

Quick Reply: Fuel Guage Spins, Points Down!!!