2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Marilynne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel issues?

Hi

New here but have been reading forum for quite a while now.

Question, have a 96 Blazer 4x4 witht he 4.3 vortec in it. We were having issues starting it on cold wet mornings, replaced distributor cap and rotor, not much change. Would only start if we pour gas down the carborator. Changed the fuel filter...hoping, still the same, will only start with fuel poured down the carb. We have to do this every morning to start it, but it will start on its own as long as you have to restart it within 2-4 hours, and sometimes i still have to pour gas in it to make it start. The pump is running the same as it was before, time wise, and we can smell the fuel once its pumped thru. If we check to see how much fuel is flowing, the flow seems good.

Any suggestions? Have not had the fuel pressure tested as yet, we live in a small town and have to see where i can get this done but am looking for suggestions otherwise as well.

Also, we are thinking maybe the fpr is messed, but we would like to know if anyone has pics of what this looks like inside, on a non fuel injected engine so we know what we are looking at to fix this if its the problem.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2008, 03:34 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: fuel issues?

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the Forum.
ORIGINAL: Marilynne
...Also, we are thinking maybe the fpr is messed, but we would like to know if anyone has pics of what this looks like inside, on a non fuel injected engine so we know what we are looking at to fix this if its the problem.

Thanks
Have you dropped an engine from an older Blazer into this one? The '96 hasfuel injection.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 PM

No, its the original engine, i just figured with a carb it would not have fuel injection...maybe i'm a blonde...wait, i am blonde, lol.
In all seriuosnous, i actually thought there would not be fuel injection with the carborator and all that. Guess i was wrong, lol. Any ideas anyone has on what might be the problem, asside from the 400 dollar fuel pump, we are trying the cheap fixes first.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are confusing the throttle body with a carburetor. It is an easy thing to think with the fuel system setup on these trucks as there are no external fuel injectors. Everything is packaged under the upper plenum.

You really have to test the fuel pressure to diagnose any kind of a fuel supply problem. Test the pressure with the key on (should be 55-60psi) and then watch the pressure after you turn the key off (shouldn't drop more than 2-3psi after the pump shuts off). Let us know the outcome.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:31 AM

OK, I will have the pressure tested this week. I just assumed that was a carborator being as there is a butterly type thing in side of it, lol. Used to the old style i guess and this is the first vehicle we've had that has given us what seems to be fuel supply issues. Usually when we've had a fuel pump go, it just goes, no playing around, lol.

Will post back, might be toward the end of the week due to my work schedule for this week, but will post back.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any updates?