2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel leak from where?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member
blazerblack is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel leak from where?

I did some searching around but didn't see this problem anywhere.

The truck is a 96 blazer 4 door 4WD. It has been smelling like fuel for the past few weeks, but had presented no leak. Last night I parked on the road, and this morning I found a small puddle on the road under the drivers side rear door. I figured that I had a rusty line, but didn't find anything wet on the lines or the frame. Figuring that the fuel had evaporated already, I started the truck up to see where the leak was. Turns out it's leaking from the body, just under the drivers side rear door. So I'm wondering what the heck could be leaking from up there? My best guess is the EVAP system. Does anybody know what could be up there leaking?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

Bump... anyone? I found the evap box, and it doesn't look like that could be my problem. I thought I read that there is a vacuum line that runs from the throttle body to the evap box, does anybody know if that could be run up in the body?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No lines are run through the interior of the truck.

Try removing the EVAP canister and see if it is saturated. If it is, it isn't doing its job properly.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
rodono is on a distinguished road

maybe also check the fuel filter and its fittings. it sits underneath on the driverside

Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member

I'll check out the canister. It definitely not coming from the fuel filter, the leak is higher than any fuel lines are ran. I know it sounds crazy, but I witnessed the fuel dripping out of a seam in the body under the rear drivers door. I drove it around today and no leak, but still a fuel smell. Anybody know where that vacuum line to the throttle body is ran?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 PM
rodono is on a distinguished road

maybe also check your fuel tank vent valve at the front of the tank

Old 05-23-2011, 04:07 PM
dgryboski is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my puel pump, and I did something wrong with the fuel tank vent valve when I put the tank back up. When the tank is full, it leaks, and I think it's the vent valve (located on top of the tank, exactly where you say your gas is leaking).

Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM
dgryboski is on a distinguished road

To get to the fuel tank vent valve, you'll have to lower your fuel tank.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

You know this vent doesnt even show up in the GM service manual on my 99. So many people have damaged it.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please also check the condition of the filler neck assembly itself-very conducivice to corrosion as well!

Quick Reply: Fuel leak from where?