2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel leak from where?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member
blazerblack is on a distinguished road

Well, I FINALLY found my leak! I looked under it again yesterday in desperation and saw a tiny... I mean tiny pinhole leak. It was so hard to see that after I looked away it was hard to find again. Looks like it's time to replace some fuel line... the only problem is that the tank is in the way. Hopefully loosening the tank and moving it down will be enough room to work, but I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions to make the tank pulling nightmare any easier?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 AM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

Warning: Make sure you disconnect the vent hose on the front top of the tank first. If you forget about it and lower the tank it is sure to break. On my 99 plastic tank it is not replaceable. Also you will need some fuel line disconnect tools. OTC makes a few nice tools - you can get them on Amazon. NAPA told me there is a repair kit for the plastic lines if thats whats leaking.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member

Well, it's finally fixed. I replaced the fuel lines (outside in the rain) from just after the sender to up near the fuel filter. They were quite rusted out. I didn't read the vent warning in time.... and either I broke it on the way out or it already was broken. The truck had a fuel smell for a while before it started to leak so who knows. 14 bucks at carquest for a new vent and a longer vacuum line cured that problem. Finally the truck doesn't smell like fuel anymore. Thanks to all who gave me input.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Beginning Member

Ok so everything was fine until I filled the tank up today.... and it's leaking. Originally I was thinking that the vent wasn't in quite right, or got turned during installation but I seems to be leaking too much. It was filled about noon, and it's still leaking now even after 50 miles of driving to try to burn up some gas. The tank is aluminum and was a little rusty... but it didn't seem too bad. I didn't crunch the tank or anything during installation but I'm wondering if all the moving around caused a problem.

My best guess right now is wait until there is less gas in the tank and lower it back down to check/seal the vent as needed. Anybody have any better ideas?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM
rodono is on a distinguished road

check the fuel pump connections one day when i did some work and disconnected the fuel lines from the fuel pump and didnt get one on all the way and sprayed fuel everywhere. it was the return fuel line. but it ran all through this

Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 AM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

I just did my fuel pump and freaked out Friday when I saw a fuel spot on the ground. Ended up being the fuel filler pipe is rotting and when the tank is full it seeped out. Not a major leak but I need to find those lower metal filler and vent pipe. I have a 4DR 4WD so it is the plastic tank. Anyway I was happy to find I dont need to lower the tank again.

Is your fuel dripping from the front or rear of tank? Your lucky you could replace that vent valve. My 99 cant be replaced.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member

Well, it's still leaking after 31 hours, so I think it's time to order a tank. It's down to 3/4 tank by now. I'm assuming that a sender/vent leak would have stopped leaking a while ago. After work today I felt around the vent and didn't feel any fuel around it at all. The fuel is leaking from the drivers side from the middle to the back. The seam on that side didn't look so great so I guess tightening the straps or jacking the tank up finished it off.... oh well. Time to drop the tank again.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Beginning Member

Replaced the tank today and now the filler neck is leaking! I can't win! Nobody local can get the filler neck, does anybody know where I can get one online? Or should I just get some flexible hose and make my own?