2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Starting Member
Blazin1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Lines

Is there a tool to pull off the plastic fuel lines off where they connect to the steel ones? I don't see any clamps or any thing holding this plastic. I know the other end you simply press the plastic thingy then you pull the line away, but the other one???

I know this is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. Could I use a Blow Dryer's heat to soften up the plastic just enough to pull the plastic line off the steel one??? I did this with the ones I got from the junk yard but im kinda scared to try this with the line thats still atached to my truck

Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel Lines

Where are you trying to remove the plastic line from the steel line? Can you snap a pic and post it?

If it is a quick disconnect fitting, then yes, there are tools that aid in the removal of these connections. They can also be disconnected by using two small screw drivers.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Starting Member

I have a pic. I'll post it as soon as i get home from work. The plastic line is kinked/broken where it connects to the steele line, they are connected by what looks like a plastic sleeve of some sort. I think this plastic line is between 2 return steel lines because it's not the one from the fuel filter. I'll post the pic so you know what im talking about.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Starting Member

Here's the pic of what I'm talking about. Is this repairable??? The top pic shows where this line is connected to (not connected to the filter) on top of the picture is where the damaged part of the hose is.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to say no, at least not without a lot of work... Is the only concern that the line is kinked?

What happens if you straighten out that portion of the line? You may be able to take some regular rubber fuel hose and two clamps and add a "support" to the line over the kinked section. Using about a 1-1.5" section of suitably sized fuel hose, slice it down the side so that it can be slipped over the existing line. Then use a clamp at each end to secure it. This will make a strain relief for over the existing line, supporting it on either side of the kink. If the kink does not open up when the line is straightened out, this may not be of much benefit.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Starting Member

The thing is, where the line is kinked there's a leak. I was going to put another quick release(on the right side of the kink)that I got from the salvage yard together with a ****** brass coupler and some hose clamps. Can I just use some rubber hose instead of the plastic line???

Old 12-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Ah, I missed the leak part... Well, if you get the appropriate fuel line, then yes, you should be able to use rubber line in place of the plastic. You just have to make sure that it is made to handle the fuel pressure, plus some.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Starting Member

would any autopart store carry such rubber hoses? I attempted a repair but it didn't work. I found the line I needed at the junk yard and like an idiot I CUT the steel part (I thought it was 2 pieces), well I just called the dealer and it will cost $107 and the guy said that it comes as one piece steele line and plastic. The guy said I should have taken the whole thing because the plastic line is crimped on to the steele line.

How much pressure does the rubber hose have to handle???

Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Administrator

I believe the pump can deliver a maximum of 70psi. I would err on the safe side and get hose rated to at least 100 psi and for use in gasoline and potentially ethanol.

You cannot find another line at the junkyard can you?

It is also possible to get some compression fittings which would allow you to splice the end you cut off from the yard to your line after cutting it as well...

Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Starting Member

No, the sad thing is that could have had it. S10, Blazers, Sonomas, Jimmys are RARE @ any junk yard here in Fresno,Ca.

If I cant find a hose, I'm just gonna fold and by a new line.

Quick Reply: Fuel Lines