2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel problem im stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel problem im stumped

i have a 97 four door blazer. this weekend i was out tearing it up with my brother. we found a huge puddle along the trail. we went slow through the first time and flew the second. after the second pass my truck started to bog out and tried to stall. i slapped it in nuteral and gave it enough gas to keep it running. of course we had to do it again but i wasnt so lucky the second time. as soon as i cleared the mud it stalled. i figured i just soaked some wires or something. let it dry for a few hours wouldnt start. towed it to a friends for the night and tried again no dice. got it home and saw the sending unit was lifting off the tank. i dropped the tank and reinstalled and sealed the unit. still no start. all the wires are dry now. is it possible i shorted out my fuel pump? mabye a relay? any help would be much appreciated. i should add that i have good spark and its turning over very well. also fuel pump was whining earlier in the day but stopped

Last edited by jackdough; 06-07-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Starting Member
Crestwood1001 is on a distinguished road

Dont really know what to tell ya but taking a vehicle that old off roading at high speeds is just asking for trouble

Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, so the fuel pump assembly was not securely sealed to the fuel tank and you were doing water crossings?? Drain the tank and refill while dumping in 2 bottles of iso-heat. You likely have a TON of water in your fuel which is causing the no start condition. You may have to change your fuel filter as well.

So drop the tank, drain it, and wash it out REALLY well.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Also have a buddy listen by the tank for the fuel pump to run when you turn the key on. If it was whining earlier in the day and then stopped, make sure it's still running and didn't decide it's had enough and just quit. (or you'll be dropping that tank again to replace the fuel pump). And if got a bunch of water in the tank replace the fuel filter, I'm sure that wasn't clear water you were running through.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Lets just say I did something similar... After bouncing around for a bit, I guess my sending unit had popped off the tank but was still flopping around and attached. I found this out while my new engine was being put in.

When you try to start it, does your starter grind? Or just the old *click* of doom?
Try a few things: Check your air filter, is it wet? If yes, move on.
Check the end of your air intake, any moisture? If yes, move on.
Check your throttle body. Any water in the fuel there? Yes or no, move on.
Grab a pry bar and try to rotate your fly wheel. Does it spin freely, or does it bind mid-rotation? (will have a bit of resistance, but you can do it). Any binds? Yes or no try one more thing.
Drop your starter, is it full of grit and crud? If yes shake it and scrub it with light duty brush to get her shined up and take it to a parts store to have it checked. If no grit, take it to a parts store for a check up.
If it's screwed, buy a new one, throw it in there, and try it out. Still no dice?

If your starter is fudged, and your flywheel wont spin, AND your airfilter is good and soaked, prepare yourself to say hello to a new engine
Nose diving a puddle (I imagine by puddle you meant like mid wheel deep or better) at speed drives water into your intake, through the tubers, down the throttle, into you engine, and BLAM! You could hunt kangaroos with your new bannana shapped piston(s).

*shrug* or you check that stuff real quick and move on to some other possible problems. I wish you luck and hopefully this is a 'not too expensive' lesson learned.

Last edited by ABN31B; 06-07-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:45 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

If you got water into the tank then that's where you need to start. The fuel filter will not pass water through it either...

Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point

whoa ask and shall you recieve eh? lol its got to be water in the tank, i saw a little bit of water in there when i dropped the tank yesterday. my old man was sure that wouldnt be it. lol last time i take his advice lol. air filter is dry, intake is dry, no problems with the starter. so would my pump just send water as far as the filter? if i disconnect the filter, i guess change it at the same time, and blow the line out back to my tank, get rid of the gas thats in the tank and fill it back up and add the liquid fire stuff that would solve my water problem? is there any way water could have gotten past the pump and into the cylinders? thanks alot guys i really need the advice

Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

It's always POSSIBLE that water got past, but like bandidolenny said, the filter shouldn't let water through.
Keep us posted man, I really hope it's just a bad seal let water in the tank. could have been much MUCH worse.