2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Puddle Under My Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Starting Member
CCBlocker is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Puddle Under My Blazer

Hey guys, First post here!! So glad to find you. Here is my issue:

1998 Blazer, 180k miles, Rust Bucket

Came to the car one morning to find a puddle of fuel under the tank and that the level had dropped 1/4. Replaced the entire tank!!. New Tank (Old one had noticeable rust on the inside), New Straps, New Fuel Tank Vent Rollover Valve (That's the front one connected to the little hose). I was able to re-use my old pump and everything seemed to be working fine. Today I come back to the car after filling it up to full for the first time and find a large puddle of fuel under the car. It is NOT a leak from the pump or main filler and vent neck. When I reach my hand on the front Fuel Tank Vent Rollover Valve it is soaked with fuel and the fuel drips from the front corner of the tank onto the ground. Do I have a clog in this evap system? Is the tank not releasing pressure correctly? I do not have any hard starts or backfires, and the car runs just fine. It is a Dorman Fuel Tank Vent Rollover Valve I bought from Advance Auto and an aftermarket new Fuel Tank. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Not sure, but guess you could always leave the fill cap loose overnight and see if the puddle appears again. That will tell you if the venting is a problem.

If puddle reappears, then fuel line?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CCBlocker
...I come back to the car after filling it up to full for the first time and find a large puddle of fuel under the car.
If "to" is correct, the vent valve may be cracked, or the gasket/seal is leaking. If "to" is supposed to be "too", (as in over filled) the same applies, but may have caused other damage. Both of the vent valves on the tank must be above the fuel level in the tank at all times. The vapor lines go directly to the purge canister. The purge canister is designed to handle vapor only. If it is exposed to raw fuel, ie over filling the tank, it will be destroyed.