2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is it the fuel Pump??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 11:52 AM
harryb84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it the fuel Pump??

I have a 98 s-10 v6 with 190000 miles on it runs great with the exception that when it sits for two hours or more it will not start. I use starting fluid to get it to start and usually it does not take much at all. I have checked my fuel pressure a couple of different times and i usuall have around 50psi(when not running) around 55 to 60 when running. About two years ago i changed the fuel pumpI recently changed the ignition control module and the fuel regulator. This morning the starting fluid did not work as well as it has been so I am perplexed. Also When i give the truck full throttle it will rev the engine strong but will not accelarate. AlsoI have new plugs and wires.Please any ideas?!?

Old 03-12-2007 | 04:26 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Is it the fuel Pump??

According to most posts here you should have 60+ psi to start the truck and it would reduce a little while it is running. Since you recently replaced the pressure regulator I would start there and then check fuel pump. Both are related to each other so that would be my two cents...

Old 03-12-2007 | 04:46 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

What is this with people using starting fluid to get their trucks going?

This is like the 4th or 5thposter now with close to the same issues, and close to the same steeps taken already. And each one has a low number of post (under 5).

Old 03-12-2007 | 04:48 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: harryb84

I have a 98 s-10 v6 with 190000 miles on it runs great with the exception that when it sits for two hours or more it will not start. I use starting fluid to get it to start and usually it does not take much at all. I have checked my fuel pressure a couple of different times and i usuall have around 50psi(when not running) around 55 to 60 when running. About two years ago i changed the fuel pumpI recently changed the ignition control module and the fuel regulator. This morning the starting fluid did not work as well as it has been so I am perplexed. Also When i give the truck full throttle it will rev the engine strong but will not accelarate. AlsoI have new plugs and wires.Please any ideas?!?
Your fuel pressure should be 60 at start, if its not that high then look for leaks or your fuel pump is going out again on you.

What brand pump did you use?

Old 03-13-2007 | 04:00 PM

I got it from autozone. dont remember the name brand. It will try to start but then it wont i have been told to check the distributor cap. I am going to change the oil because I believe the 5w30 is causing low oil pressure and making it difficult for my truck to start what is a good type of oil for a high mileage classic like my 98 s10. also it does run well which leads me to believe that the fuel pump is ok am i in denial?lol

Old 03-13-2007 | 04:55 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the fuel filter too. Two years seems too soon for a new pump to take a dive.

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:17 PM

I also had a check engine light come on and it said i had a vaccum leak. And it said i had a o2 sensor going out on me. A mechanic said that this could not possibly be related. Yet the autozone kid sounded pretty confident that it could be a direct result of a hard start. I am so confused

Old 03-29-2007 | 01:49 AM

well went and purchased a fuel pump installed it and wa la problem solved! this forum cost me to much money everyone said it was this or that lesson here i need to listen to my mechanic a little more.

Old 03-29-2007 | 09:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad you got it fixed, but... I don't see how *this forum* cost you too much money... This is the only thread you ever created on this problem and you started off by stating that you already replaced the fuel pump two years ago... Only other suggestion I saw here was to replace the fuel filter which is a $5 part. So because you started the shotgun approach to repairing your vehicle based on advice given to others for what you thought were similar issues, you blame us. Well thanks, but no thanks.

As always, the advice given here is free. We are not there with you, looking over your shoulder. We rely on your descriptions to attempt to diagnose your problem. As such, we can only recommend things to check, it is your responsibility to do the work. If you would rather go to a mechanic, that is your choice.

Old 03-30-2007 | 12:26 AM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point

[&:] WHAT ???????
20Blazer00 and MNHawk pointed you directly TO the fuel pump. You should be saying thank you . These guys don't get paid for this.

Quick Reply: Is it the fuel Pump??