2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump blues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 05:57 AM
TStoddard is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump blues

Hey gang! Well after 206k the inevitable finally happened, the fuel pump is a goner. This is a 98 4x4 4 door Jimmy SLS with a steel fuel tank. After pricing new ones at the store ($235 and up) I started looking on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket pumps that are less than half that? I know you usually get what you pay for, but the Delphi just seems a little over priced. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Now wondering if it's worth replacing the tank while I'm under there. After 21+ years, I'm sure there is some corrosion going on. Thoughts?

Last edited by TStoddard; 11-27-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:38 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's your money and time. If you enjoy changing fuel pumps, get one of the aftermarket pumps.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:46 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I've been following threads on thus topic and have decided that if (when?) I have to replace my fuel pump I'll pay the higher cost for a quality fuel pump. Can't remember for sure but AC Delco is likely the way to go.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

I went with the Delphi fuel pump around $176 on amazon and also purchased a new fuel tank (Spectra Premium) on amazon for $81, I also replaced the fuel filler neck and hoses while I was at it ($60 total).

That $320 was the best money I've spent on my ZR2 Blazer. My old filler neck and hoses were shot, and the corrosion on the top of my tank was horrible.

While you're at it check on the rear leaf spring shackles as they do get rusty, and it is so much easier replacing them with the tank out.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:26 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

I spent the $250 and went with the Delphi. Here's the link to that part in my build...starts on page 5 with a big pic of the pump. I was less than half of your mileage when mine went south!

https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...d-97574/page5/

About a year later, still running strong. Like Zenith, I replaced the hoses, and the fuel filter, tank straps, etc. Definitely don't cheap out on the pump. See what other deals you can find on them...ebay, amazon, etc.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:51 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

I went with the $30 Amazon pump two years ago. It's now giving up and time to be changed again. I'll probably be putting another $30 pump back in. If I had the cash right now though I'd opt for a better pump.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:06 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

This forum is littered with threads about aftermarket pump problems. The conventional wisdom was always Delphi or AC Delco. There was a thread a while back about some Delphi problems for one person so AC Delco probably has the cleanest reputation although one customer problem does not a bad reputation make. I have a Delphi in my 2002 with 100,000+ miles on it myself. I would never use an after market fuel pump in these trucks. The job is not joyful.

George

Old 11-29-2019, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the info. I honestly did try to search the forum on fuel pumps but found very little. Maybe I didnt search with the best keywords? Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback. I've put quite a bit into this truck and have never skimped on quality parts. I guess the $235 + all the fix'ins just seems a little outrageous to me, and being just before Christmas doesn't help either.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:41 AM

Zenith, did you originally have a steel tank and replace with plastic? That's kind of what I'm thinking of doing. How'd the swap work out? Also, I just went through the rear this spring with new leafs, bushings, bolts etc. Same with rebuilding the front end. I've done quite a bit to it & it's one of the nicest around.

Hess13x - thanks for that info. Changing the pump again anytime soon is the LAST thing I want to do!

Last edited by TStoddard; 11-29-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:48 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=TStoddard;716168]Zenith, did you originally have a steel tank and replace with plastic? That's kind of what I'm thinking of doing. How'd the swap work out?

No, I bought a steel tank.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump blues